DIY Desk Completed

Update 04/05/15: Finished project

I've been thinking of getting a new desk for quite some time. I used to have three 23" monitors on a 4' desk. It was pretty cramped with my speakers on the desk. This was one of the many layout iterations I had on that desk. The 23" monitors are now gone and I'm on the 27" monitor bug. I picked up a Qnix QX2710 and I'm waiting for other options out there.

I saw my brother bring home one of those IKEA table tops and legs sets the other day. It look pretty good and I even considered doing an IKEA table. However the issue was length. The largest one is ~50". Hardly longer than my current one. Then I discovered this desk build from a Twitter/YouTube user named TheRawView using an IKEA 74" kitchen countertop. WOW! This is exactly what I was looking for. My final setup will be very similar except with just two 27" monitors and speakers.

I'm a slow decision maker, so I'm not in any rush to build this. I've just been searching around online for ideas. I was originally going to go with the Karlby walnut countertop, but for longevity's sake I thought a solid wood table top would be a better idea. Especially, since I wanted to add in a keyboard tray.

Here's what I got so far (all subject to change):

Table Top: Craftsman 6' Butcher Block ($129.99 @ The plan is to sand it and put on a dark stain. I'll have to see if any local lumberyards offers a better deal. Not sure if I'll be doing a raised stand for the monitor. I probably should since this one sits really low.

<a data-ipb="nomediaparse" data-cke-saved-href="http://www.sears.com/craftsman-6"href="http://www.sears.com/craftsman-6" -butcher-block-work-surface="" p-00914961000p"=""> Table Legs: Adils ($3.50 each @ IKEA). Unless, I find something better for a similar price.

Cable Management: Signum ($10 @ IKEA)

Keyboard Tray: 3' by 1' board ($?? @ Hardware Store) + Keyboard Slide ($23 @ Amazon).

I could also use drawer mounts with L-shaped brackets.

Storage: Still looking

Chair: Still looking

Misc: Staples Tower Stand ($11 each @ Staples) or Lack Coffee Table ($20 @ IKEA)

To store the gaming PC and server under the desk. I could fit the server case into the bottom shelve of the Lack with some added brackets for strength. Then put the PC flat on top.

Edited by WhenKittensATK

I am working on the same kind of project though I am going to do two together to make an L. Get the solid core door and then you have options for legs. The A-Frame (sawhorse) method is very popular right now. What I am doing is using Black Iron Pipe to create legs and bracing. I will have a total of 5 legs for each desk, 3 across the back and two in the front. I will be using joints to run a brace across each end and the back as well as the one long run in the front and then flanges to have the desk actually sit on.

The braces will give me lots of places to tie and hide cabling.

For the computer "stand" and just built a small standing using 2x4, two down the depth of the case and one that crossed in the middle to join the two. Gives me a lot of lift and this great airflow under the case. If you need it to easily slide out just get a couple of the furniture slider feet and attach to the 2x4.

Edited by VaporX

I built a cheep custom L-shape counter top/computer desk, it's not freestanding like a table as the backside is against wall in a corner of the room,.. using standard white Melamine board 4X8 by 3/4" sheet is thirty dollars,.. I used alum angle at wall & 1" painted metal conduit for legs at front with some trim to finish edges,.. drill a few 2" grommets for cable/wire drops,..  http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-Melamine-White-Panel-3-4-in-4-ft-x-8-ft-Actual-750-in-x-49-in-x-97-in-461877/100070209 also comes in 1" by 5X10 sheets,..  can be ordered in any custom color you want.

Good idea to figure out which type chair you plan on using also to determine comfortable height for desktop,.. and what you plan on putting underneath desktop,.. I used a 32" portable fridge to determine my height so I could have a fridge under desktop,.. :blink:

Edited by Braegnok

Check out your local Craigslist too unless you just want to build one yourself. I found this for $100. I think it's a Walmart desk but it's sturdy as hell.

20150303_082249.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Not a fan of blank door desk idea. I want to save money, but not that way. This desk will last several years, so why not spend a little more.

I did notice that not all the Ikea table tops are hollow in the middle. The ones I were looking at have particle board beneath the laminate. So not sure if I want revisit an Ikea wood top for $100 vs the $130 Craftsman solid maple.

For the legs I'm tempted to do galvanized steel pipes. Found the fittings she used on Zoro 1" fittings are about 49.50 ($50 free shipping) and 1.25" fittings are $70. I could pick up un-threaded pipes from Home Depot or Lowes in 10 ft and have them cut it down. I like these fittings better than the threaded ones which from my experience are rarely squared. Legs alone could run about $80-100  :doh:

I may just pick up a $40-50 dual monitor mount clamp instead of a monitor riser stand. Just throw an extra piece of wood under the desk to spread the weight out more.

Edited by WhenKittensATK

I ordered the Craftsman Butcher Block, since I wasn't sure when the coupon expired. Sanding and staining may cost ~$40 extra if I go that route.

I've Googled a lot of different table leg designs and they keep leading me back to metal pipes. So far these are the two competing designs Z-shaped and H/I-shaped. The Z-shaped is simple enough to make, but I feel it loses any "cool" factor it had without a glass top. The H/I-shaped design is pretty generic, but using large pipes on the four posts makes it stand out much better.

This is by far one of the cooler metal leg designs I've seen but out of my budget and beyond my skills.

Edited by WhenKittensATK

This might be another option in the future. If only a planer didn't cost me as much as a pre-made table itself. http://m.imgur.com/a/97HAK

Purchases so far:
Craftsman Butcher Block = $121.89
Pipe Fittings = $47.12
Pipes = $44.25
Total so far: $213.26

Pipe List:

After some thinking, I decided to go with a cheaper and simple pipe layout. Found an expensive Lowes design. Calculating the price for that one was a bit high and that was cutting out a lot of their conversion fittings too.
Edited by WhenKittensATK

I would recommend a keyboard tray at least half the length of the desk. So long as it is big enough to fit a keyboard and mouse, with enough room to move the mouse a fair amount, and you'll be set. That's the one thing I want to change on my current desk. Keyboard tray is just barely enough for a full-size keyboard and mouse, provided the keyboard doesn't have any extra buttons or width to it.

Start is looking pretty good. How tall is the desk with the legs?