Audio Upgrades: Input Wanted

Psywar

Hey ya'll,

So I am wanting to do some upgrades to my desktop PC.

I love creating and listening to music so I want to upgrade my audio setup on my desktop PC and I am looking for input, possibly pros and cons.

So this is what I am looking to buy:

ASUS Xonar ST (the one with the headphone amp) ($200)

http://www.amazon.com/Xonar-Essence-24-bit-192KHz-Interface/dp/B002UVME88/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1372614872&sr=8-4&keywords=ASUS+Xonar

Sennheiser Amperior headphones (I currently own the Sennheiser HD518) ( do you think this is a good upgrade?)

FL Studio 11 ( I currently have a not so legit copy of it)

What I do/ want to do:

Looking for great sound quality so I can really tell what I am producing/creating.

Want to be able to hook my acoustic guitar to the computer to record.

I want to create club/dance/dub step, hip-hop.

I'd also like to be able to hook my iPad up as well to record on the fly, but all my iPad apps have an export feature so I can just create and export if need be.

Also if anyone knows of any good vst's for FL Studio that would be cool. That is one of my main reasons for going legit on that. I can't get any plugins to work correctly.

I also read reviews saying that ASUS sound card does not like Win7. Anyone confirm/deny that?

Looking for other options/opinions on these upgrades.

Thanks!

I don't know if you will notice a difference with a sound card, most onboard audio cards are better now a days. I upgraded to a xonar a while a ago and returned it because I didn't notice a difference. As for the new headphones that is up to you some people will think there better some people won't. 

Even with the built in amp for moar power to the cans?

I thought of another question a bit off topic though. I want to go dual monitor, but my desk is not spacious enough so I am going to have to do a swinging arm mount type deal on the left side wall of my desk. Does anyone know of a 20-24" monitor that would allow for wall type mounting on the back? The monitors I currently have around the house would not work.

This is what I am working with:

1372609215996.jpg

And no, I have not used my desktop in quite some time. Which is why it's full of junk lol!

Almost any monitor will work, search for monitors that are VESA mountable. And maybe it would help for headphones, I run my audio into a receiver, so more power isn't needed.

Thanks for the VESA tip!

The receiver is a good idea. Only downside for me is I would have to run a long cord(s).

My receiver is 20ft from my desktop.

I could probably still do it though And use those digital cords too.

Also here is the full motion mounts I use, I currently use 3 for my main setup, and I use one of these at my work desk, where space is limited. It would sit on your desktop and is quite easy to use.

I did pick up that wall mount. I ordered a 24" Asus IPS monitor.

How about getting a STX instead of ST? 98% same plus PCI-e 1x card instead of legacy PSI, which is fading out from the motherboard industry.

I think I an just going to skip on the sound card for now. I went with a smonitor instead.

better headphones > sound card

what kind of music do you listen to?

I Listen to Country, Rap, Dance/Dubstep, Rock.

Pretty much everything other than classical, Opera, and Jazz.

I Do currently own the Sennheiser HD 518 which is really nice IMO. So spending 200+ on new headphones would have to be a major upgrade.

Also here is the full motion mounts I use, I currently use 3 for my main setup, and I use one of these at my work desk, where space is limited. It would sit on your desktop and is quite easy to use.

I did pick up that wall mount. I ordered a 24" Asus IPS monitor.

How about getting a STX instead of ST? 98% same plus PCI-e 1x card instead of legacy PSI, which is fading out from the motherboard industry.

I think I an just going to skip on the sound card for now. I went with a smonitor instead.

better headphones > sound card

what kind of music do you listen to?

I Listen to Country, Rap, Dance/Dubstep, Rock.

Pretty much everything other than classical, Opera, and Jazz.

I Do currently own the Sennheiser HD 518 which is really nice IMO. So spending 200+ on new headphones would have to be a major upgrade.

Beyerdynamic DT990 pro 

ok. But don't go for cheap cards. ;)

Edited by d6bmg