XBOX 720

InCrYsIs

That's why it was familiar BP... well I hope it has proper backwards compatibility... it should considering the specs..

Somehow I don't know if backwards compatibility is on the minds of Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo. I mean, the most recent Wii can no longer play GameCube games, plus the DS models haven't been able to play Game Boy games since the DS Lite. All the companies are releasing older games through their digital platforms or making HD versions of some like Sony has done. Everything is going digital, but I just hope someone figures out that digital items can still be returned after a while.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not surprised, as long as people show their willingness to put up with crap, these companies will continue to dish it out. If this is true, it's bad news for Gamestop and other places that rely on used games. Most of all it's crap for the customer of course, most everyone I know buys their games used and then sells them back to Gamestop.

Hopefully, depending on if this whole thing is true or not, Gamestop and other places dependent on used games will inform their customers of this sort of thing. I don't think majority of the people out there would hear about it otherwise.

Somehow I don't know if backwards compatibility is on the minds of Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo. I mean, the most recent Wii can no longer play GameCube games, plus the DS models haven't been able to play Game Boy games since the DS Lite. All the companies are releasing older games through their digital platforms or making HD versions of some like Sony has done. Everything is going digital, but I just hope someone figures out that digital items can still be returned after a while.

Yeah that seems very very likely with all the things going on now... It's a shame though possibly not being able to play games that were released a few months before for 360... hope they do though given that the hardware is nearly the same, it's not the same as Xbox(nVidia,Intel)-360(ATI,IBM)... still, you guys all own Xbox?

This article is making me :cry:

XBox 720 - 6670 graphics card and no used games

Wii U - slower than the 720

I wasn't expecting a 6990 or a 7990 but wow, talk about 1.5-2yrs behind the times at launch. At least consoles make better use of their hardware, but I still had higher dreams than this. Though at the same time I'm really not too suprised.

This article is making me :cry:

XBox 720 - 6670 graphics card and no used games

Wii U - slower than the 720

I wasn't expecting a 6990 or a 7990 but wow, talk about 1.5-2yrs behind the times at launch. At least consoles make better use of their hardware, but I still had higher dreams than this. Though at the same time I'm really not too suprised.

Well, considering the 360 has the equivalent of an ATI X1800, I'd say many people won't notice an HD 6670 in the Next Xbox as being terrible.

Well, considering the 360 has the equivalent of an ATI X1800, I'd say many people won't notice an HD 6670 in the Next Xbox as being terrible.

It doesn't mean they can't achieve higher. :P

I'm sure they could find a way to fit a 6950 in smaller form factor, and given how popular xboxs are the R&D would be worth it.

It doesn't mean they can't achieve higher. :P

I'm sure they could find a way to fit a 6950 in smaller form factor, and given how popular xboxs are the R&D would be worth it.

You have to think of it from a pricing standpoint. A higher-end GPU will run up the cost of any new console, even if it is an HD 6950 and we are on to an HD 9950 by the time the Next Xbox launches. Putting in a GPU that still costs north of $200 means a higher production cost, which means more money spent building the millions of consoles, which means a higher retail price when it does launch. Putting in a GPU that costs under $100 as of now makes sense, because it helps to keep the overall costs down, which in turn means more people can afford a new console.

Many people get a console for the convenience. It is much simpler to open the box, hook up the power cable and video/audio cable(s), turn on the TV and console, and start playing it right away. Some people, and this may shock you, do not have the time to spend diagnosing why a brand new game does not work, or why performance is sluggish, or having to spend more money on new parts a year or two down the road just to be able to keep up with the pack. A console simplifies all of that, since there is one specific hardware configuration to design for that eliminates all the man hours spent optimizing for as many different video cards, RAM amounts, and CPU speeds people can have in a computer.

An HD 6670 is no slouch, since it can handle 3D and 1080p while still delivering leaps and bounds of performance improvements over any other console GPU on the market today. To expect Microsoft to try to cram a 6990 or some other monster into the Next Xbox is ridiculous. The console may as well be watercooled at that point, with two GPUs in something the size of a phonebook.

They are trying to release it for the same price as the current one... don't see it happening with a Kinect with every console though... probably just a bundle, the 6670(probably a variant like te 360 one) is pretty powerful and developers can optimize games greatly for it... just hope that it's powerful enough so that the next Crysis isn't dumbed down...

Trust me I'm no hater of consoles - I'm one of the few that support consoles here.

While I agree with your point on keeping the production costs down, it's not like they would be paying street price for the cards and I doubt it costs anywhere close to $200 for ATI to produce a single HD6950 - i.e. huge markup costs. The huge cost factor in my proposition would be the R&D costs of developing a new card as you would have to go through the entire lifecycle from the design phase to test. I just feel the popularity of consoles justify the costs. Though had the Xbox been as popular as the Wii, perhaps it would be getting a better card ...like a 6870. :P

Also, if they did make console that powerful then it would either last a lot longer in the market or the next console will have an even higher standard to reach. Both of these possibilities are going to be bad for the company and the consumer.

With a longer market lifespan it will be longer before new technologies and algorithms can be incorporated. This we can see today because games are still being made with older versions of DirectX so the porting to or from consoles can be easier. This effects the entire game industry because it costs money to do more than a direct graphics port. Some companies spend the time and money, but not all.

If the console is not given a longer lifespan though, and the new one with better tech can be expected every 3-5 years then every 3-5 years one can expect to pay a lot of money. I know some of us will build a new $1000+ computer that often, but we are not representative of the average consumer or console gamer. Also, a computer can see a lot more use than a console, making it worth the cost.

Also, don't forget that it will not be a 6670 GPU in the thing, but a modified 6670 GPU. It will be designed for the console, and while the tweaks may be minor, it means all the resources being put into production cannot be used for any other product. It's not like there is a bad run so some components are switched off and the parts are sold as a 6650. The bad components would have to be recycled or scrapped.

Really there isn't much of a benefit to higher quality components in consoles. Sure, it'll look prettier, but it will either hold back future development in the industry or become prohibitively expensive for the majority of consumers. Bad move either way.

On the bright side, at least console ports will get better. I mean they probably still won't fully use higher end cards like the 7950 when it comes out, but we should see some significant improvement.