My Weight loss Blog

Dariuas

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a very cool site, thanks for posting it.

BTW I have dived full tilt into livestrong.com and found a solid community that has been quick to offer actual good advice. In the past I have been to these types of sites and a lot of the advice was way over the top, these people have offered solid advice that my doctor is happy with. The intake tracker is awesome and easy to use, the food list is HUGE! Plus it works as a Windows 8 App, a smart phone app or off the web site.

The first thing to do is turn off the computer :)

Replace that time with healthy calorie burning activities.  Resistance training is great for building / rebuilding muscle mass, but you got to get your cardio / aerobic and anaerobic exercise in if you really want to burn the calories.  Then of course there is the dietary considerations........... but looks like you all got a handle on that!

Great idea.  Losing weight (much like giving up tobacco or getting sober) is a lot easier when you have a support system in place.

And remember that long term your BMI is more important than your total weight.  So while you want to "lose" fat - you don't want to lose muscle mass.

The first thing to do is turn off the computer :)

Replace that time with healthy calorie burning activities.  Resistance training is great for building / rebuilding muscle mass, but you got to get your cardio / aerobic and anaerobic exercise in if you really want to burn the calories.  Then of course there is the dietary considerations........... but looks like you all got a handle on that!

Great idea.  Losing weight (much like giving up tobacco or getting sober) is a lot easier when you have a support system in place.

And remember that long term your BMI is more important than your total weight.  So while you want to "lose" fat - you don't want to lose muscle mass.

Everything is easier with a support system.

One quick thing I want to say though is that BMI, is often meaningless. Your point of losing fat and not muscle mass is completely correct, it's just that BMI doesn't actually measure that. It just looks at weight and height, so a short person with a lot of muscle mass can be considered obese, according to their BMI. Basically it's a quick and sloppy approximation that is given more credit than it should. Too bad better and more accurate measures are also harder and more expensive to do.

Best of luck to you!  I second the recomendation of myfitnesspal.com and the app.  You don't realize how many calories you actually take in until you start writing it down.  I lost over 40lbs last year down to just under 160 from 200 by watching what I ate.  Eating healthier is a pain to start with, but it eventually became a lifestyle change, and now my body feels terrible when I eat a bunch of junk food (even though you can't stop eating the bad stuff completely or you'd go insane!)

One quick thing I want to say though is that BMI, is often meaningless. Your point of losing fat and not muscle mass is completely correct, it's just that BMI doesn't actually measure that. It just looks at weight and height, so a short person with a lot of muscle mass can be considered obese, according to their BMI. Basically it's a quick and sloppy approximation that is given more credit than it should. Too bad better and more accurate measures are also harder and more expensive to do.

Agree on the BMI. At my height, I'd need to weigh between 122 and 164 to be considered a "normal" weight. Yeah, I don't see that happening. Calculating your body fat is a better way to go imo, as it can help you stick to a healthy range rather than a specific BMI number.

I need to get back into the workout regimen again. Took a break over the holidays but continued to watch what I ate. Ended up losing a few extra pounds in December, so I was doing something right.

Best of luck to you Tim on your goals, and everyone else wanting to lose weight to be healthier.

I agree with BMI being useless because it is. When I was in High School and my early years of college I was an above average athlete with a body fat percentage of only about 5% and yet if you put my height/weight into a BMI calculator it would return overweight every time.

Starting in May of 2011, I was at 222 lbs on a 5'10" frame. I finally did more than a week of P90X and watched what I ate and got down to my original target of 182 lbs in November. I wanted to lose 40 lbs by age 40. I eventually got down to 169 at one point. I'm back up to 180 or so now and blame it on the holidays, a break from exercise and just stupid eating choices. I'm not back on the bandwagon with a goal of 160 lbs and low body fat. I'm starting Les Mills Combat on Monday and plan on mixing in some P90X and X2 for strength while also doing a couch to 5k program. I did a Warrior Dash last March and got some neighbors to sign up and run with me this year.

I used My Fitness Pal and thought it was a big part of my success. I also found having a group of people to keep me accountable helped a great deal. I used the message boards at Beachbody, but a thread here would also be great. I told myself that I couldn't miss a workout since I had to report in to the others. i got to see that other people were running into similar problems and I could see the different solutions that they took.

Meh, I just plan on stopping whenever I'm happy with the way I look and how I feel when it comes to energy and physical capability. I don't have a set weight, but I'd like to lose about 20 more pounds as well as keep bulking up. Not too much, and shouldn't take very long.