Motherboard choices

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't understand the logic of recommending the Z77/IB combination when the OP needs a new desktop PC right now. I can find some minor valid arguments for going Z68 over P67, but even that is a stretch unless you absolutely need the onboard vga or IRST.

As far as buying hardware right now and then returning it for an upgrade in 30 days, well that is just plain dishonest. That's the kind of thing that drives up prices for everyone eventually. There is a cost for both the mfg. and the retailer to run those returns through the reverse logistics process and those costs add up fast.

I'm still solidly in the camp of getting what you need now. The Z77/IB combination isn't going to bring so much more performance to the table that the end user is going to say "wow this Z77/IB build is so much faster than my Z68/SB build). And, in closing, since this rig is also a productivity build, there is the issue of all the little bugs that will need to be worked out on the new platform/chipset either through board revisions or BIOS updates. Those certainly aren't the kind of things I would want affecting my productivity.

I just don't understand the logic of recommending the Z77/IB combination when the OP needs a new desktop PC right now. I can find some minor valid arguments for going Z68 over P67, but even that is a stretch unless you absolutely need the onboard vga or IRST.

I'm still solidly in the camp of getting what you need now. The Z77/IB combination isn't going to bring so much more performance to the table that the end user is going to say "wow this Z77/IB build is so much faster than my Z68/SB build). And, in closing, since this rig is also a productivity build, there is the issue of all the little bugs that will need to be worked out on the new platform/chipset either through board revisions or BIOS updates. Those certainly aren't the kind of things I would want affecting my productivity.

I agree that the Z77 boards are not worthy over the Z68, much like how the Z68 isn't worthy over the P67. But people ended up getting Z68 anyways since it's newer. I can imagine how the Z77 would likely share the same fate. And there's the factor of product support and warranty where the newer Z77 boards would clearly have a longer period of support then the current, half year old Z68 boards. In fact, they're being released as of we speak with the same prices as the Z68 price at launch, so why not get the same price for longer support? I hope you catch my point.

I'm not trying to prove a point but I hope you understand our (or at least mine) purpose of recommending the Z77 boards. The OP did say that he wanted to get his rig running ASAP but his post was around 4 days before Z77 boards are launched. Unless he really needs it for that said time and moment, I don't think he would even bother asking for other advice besides the board itself and would order it the moment he made up his mind. I really can't see why we wouldn't recommend the Z77 boards at that time and point.

As for the productivity issues, I do agree but hope that Intel have learned their mistake with the SATA problems and have thoroughly tested every aspect of the chipset.

@OP, the Z77 boards are now on sale in Newegg. The P8Z77-V is priced at $209.99/the same price as the P8Z68-V Pro. If you have some more to spend and is still interested on getting a Z77 board, I'd recommend the ASUS Sabertooth Z77 with it's 5 year warranty (if I'm not mistaken) and is known to last for a long time.

:thumbsup:

EDIT: Spelling

Edited by vandreadstriker

I agree that the Z77 boards are not worthy over the Z68, much like how the Z68 isn't worthy over the P67. But people ended up getting Z68 anyways since it's newer. I can imagine how the Z77 would likely share the same fate. And there's the factor of product support and warranty where the newer Z77 boards would clearly have a longer period of support then the current, half year old Z68 boards. In fact, they're being released as of we speak with the same prices as the Z68 price at launch, so why not get the same price for longer support? I hope you catch my point.

I'm not trying to prove a point but I hope you understand our (or at least mine) purpose of recommending the Z77 boards. The OP did say that he wanted to get his rig running ASAP but his post was around 4 days before Z77 boards are launched. Unless he really needs it for that said time and moment, I don't think he would even bother asking for other advice besides the board itself and would order it the moment he made up his mind. I really can't see why we wouldn't recommend the Z77 boards at that time and point.

As for the productivity issues, I do agree but hope that Intel have learned their mistake with the SATA problems and have thoroughly tested every aspect of the chipset.

@OP, the Z77 boards are now on sale in Newegg. The P8Z77-V is priced at $209.99/the same price as the P8Z68-V Pro. If you have some more to spend and is still interested on getting a Z77 board, I'd recommend the ASUS Sabertooth Z77 with it's 5 year warranty (if I'm not mistaken) and is known to last for a long time.

:thumbsup:

EDIT: Spelling

I am still researching the machine, plus i was extremely busy this weekend with Easter...I want it now, however I do not want to make a costly mistake by rushing it. Why do you like the Sabertooth board? Is it worth the $30 more than ASUS P8Z77-V Intel Motherboard board and and $60 more than the ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131821

ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 ATX Intel Motherboard - $239 (plus shipping)

Edited by defroad

Why would you suggest this? Rediculous IMO.

People really do things like this though...pisses me off. We all pay the higher prices and have to jump through the hoops during RMAs because of it. :glare:

First off, to answer why Z77? Higher overclock, better lucid virtue, lower power consumption, full support for PCI 3.0 cards, and possibly (rumor) intel will release a patch so the TRIM will work on raid 0 with the intel SSDs for the Z77 boards.

Plus, no one posting to this site ever needs a PC RIGHT now. If they can post to the site, then chances are they are on a computer and can live with that for a week or 2. I mean the Z77 boards are already out and we are looking at a April 29th release date. I think that waiting for 19 more days to guarantee you have the latest tech is fine. I know it sucks to wait, but patience has it's rewards.

Why would I suggest something like borrowing something from newegg? I didn't. I was joking more than making a serious suggestion. Hence the "douche move" part of my post.

Why would I suggest something like borrowing something from newegg? I didn't. I was joking more than making a serious suggestion. Hence the "douche move" part of my post.

Like Waco said, gives others Ideas and I hate paying the price for DOOOOOSH's.

First off, to answer why Z77? Higher overclock, better lucid virtue, lower power consumption, full support for PCI 3.0 cards, and possibly (rumor) intel will release a patch so the TRIM will work on raid 0 with the intel SSDs for the Z77 boards.

Plus, no one posting to this site ever needs a PC RIGHT now. If they can post to the site, then chances are they are on a computer and can live with that for a week or 2. I mean the Z77 boards are already out and we are looking at a April 29th release date. I think that waiting for 19 more days to guarantee you have the latest tech is fine. I know it sucks to wait, but patience has it's rewards.

I am afraid of waiting....for several reasons

1) the money I have saved for this machine will end up somewhere else (happened 2 times already, hence a 5+ year old machine) SB for me will be like going from a clunker car to a top end sports car

2) SB and the motherboards are solid proven technology with most of the bugs worked out

3) we are guessing which Motherboard will be good, they all could have some issue that we are not aware of, and will need to be fixed

4) What if the release date get changed again back to June+

5) I am posting this from work, my wifes laptop is not able to meet my demands at home

I am looking at purchasing the following...Let me know if you see any issues

PS - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139021&Tpk=CORSAIR%20Enthusiast%20Series%20TX750%20V2%20750W

CPU i7-2600k

MB - ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131792

RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2x 8gb)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233246

Video card - EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 01G-P3-1461-KR Video Card (not sure on this..I do not need any high end graphics card..Starcraft2)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130661 - $159

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130625 -$119

SSD - Intel 520 Series Cherryville SSDSC2CW120A3K5 (120 gb)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167093

HDD - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533

cooling - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 - $25

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065&Tpk=COOLER%20MASTER%20Hyper%20212%20Plus%20RR-B10-212P-G1

about $1200

I have a case already....Thank you everyone for the assistance

Edited by defroad

Defroad - want a good buy on the latest technology wrapped onto a solid motherboard?

Buy this one;

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128545

You won't find a better value and I predict that this is going to be a sweet spot type of board. Jump on the bandwagon early :)

why is that worth jumping on over the ASUS version for about 10-20 dollars more? Why should i even bother with IB over SB. SB is a proven technology already in production. IB may be released at the end of April and will most likely have issues that need to be resolved. I do not see my self upgrading to IB when it is available. Plus Gigabyte's website does not say this supports IB. I am making a huge jump to SB over my current old machine.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131820