RMA DDR3 RAM

29bccjp.jpg

Just bought 2x8GB DDR3 and it has been pissing me off because the system has been BSODing and I can't get the RAM to run at its rated 1866mhz. It is my first time using a UEFI BIOS so I am not sure if I am doing something wrong.

The RAM I purchased is Mushkin's Redline 16GB DDR3 at 1866mhz 9-9-9-27 timings. But the memtest 86 test does not show that, so do I have a setting wrong somewhere?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure, I did not mess with any of the settings, I just use the Autoinstaller for USB, and booted memtest from the Flash Drive.

Just for reference, I am using a Biostar TA990FXE mobo and a FX-8350 cpu.

I meant did you set anything in the BIOS with regards to memory settings? Usually for faster RAM you have to change at least a few settings for it to be fast and stable.

Mine boots at 1333 at 1.5 volts and terrible timings unless I change things.

I have never used a UEFI BIOS before and it kinda scared me, because I have no idea what 60% of the settings do. The only way I could find to change the RAM speed was to use the overclocking settings, I set it to the rated 1866Mhz, with 200 FSB, and it would not boot, and I had to clear the CMOS.

EDIT: I will take some pictures of the BIOS settings once memtest is finished. 

Edited by Kuronin

go into the Advanced part of the BIOS and set VDimm according to what is on the sticks... there will also be an XMP profile for the DRAM in the advanced settings (memory timings) set the XMP profile that matches your sticks...

That ram 1.5v so you might make sure thats what the XMP sets...

Beings the errors are all on one stick you might want to make sure the sticks are int eh CORRECT slots... the board will say the preferred slots to use with 2 sticks... make sure they are fully seated. I;ve had not that wasnt fully seated produce errors...

At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot, I am having trouble finding an option you described. 

The Advanced Tab:

w1uzx3.jpg

I found these setting under the "Memory Insight" tab

2h50flw.jpg

And then I attempted to enter in the timings manually. I will see if I can boot with these settings, but I am not entirely sure that the errors will stop.

dcahow.jpg

Kuron, if you didn't do a CMOS clear when you swapped out the memory kits, your BIOS might be having a hard time picking up the correct information from the new memory.  Do a CMOS clear, boot into BIOS and load optimized defaults (F3).

Reboot computer, go to BIOS again and load XMP1 memory profile.  Save changes and reboot.  Run Memtest and see how it goes.

If for some reason your motherboard won't properly pick up the settings from the XMP1 memory profile, you'll need to enter the four primary memory timings and dram voltage manually.

Good luck.

If you're still getting Memtest errors then I suggest you re-run the test on the memory modules one by one.  Make sure to use the DIMM slot specified for single memory module operation.