• 1 month later...
  • Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Personally I'd say lock this thread since its old, open up a more current 4ghz thread and keep this as legacy for the early phenoms and s939/754/socket a's :cheers:

Why 4ghz? Because most can't achieve that, just as most couldn't achieve 3 'back in the day'. For braggin rights I had my 3800x2 s939 at 3.2 stable plus it went higher but i'm forgetting how high it went up to.. that was a while ago so the proof I do have is archived somewhere in my hdds :woot: maybe I'll rebuild that rig if I can find all the parts but it was:

3800x2 delidded & insulated for sub ambient @3.2 no problem, would swap between this and an opty 165 for the bigger L2 cache

watercooled w/ dual shrouded 120mm radiators with TEC'ed waterblock using a 12711 i think (picked it up cheap from a guy who fried his socket A stuff with improper install and killed the tec so i bought another and adapted it [probably installed it backwards is my guess :thumbsup: ]), still works great even on new stuff and old as a normal waterblock too :biggrin:

HIS 3870 ICEq 3 Turbo 512mb that I voltmodded and bios flashed to 1ghz default iirc and eventually crossfired with another towards the end of the systems life (then moved to abit ip35 pro and q6600 4ghz :thumbsup: )

750w thermaltake toughpower modular

raidmax smilodon

DFI CFX3200

2x seagate 250gb in raid-0

4x512MB ddr 500 crucial ballistix tracers, all 4 worked well and with the right settings and dual 60mm fans over them I got to 600 MHz plus but the sweet spot was cl2.5 somewhere in the mid to high 500s (forgetful now)

Back in the day that was a pretty good rig :biggrin: UV lighting and blue/green everywhere . I still have most if not all of it disassembled still around the place :evilgrin:

I also had a x2 5000 BE am2 benching at 3.4 as well, I bought it after returning a phenom 9600 BE because my opty 165 and s939 3800x2 systems were gaming better at 3+ since the phenom 1 couldnt oc good at release and games using more than two threads were rare if any at that time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I dont see why we still have this club .. :rolleyes:

I know. You should lock this thread and create a 4Ghz club.:thumbsup:

I actually overclocked my CPU to get to 3ghz but its on stock cooling and it was fairly easy to do. 4Ghz is a more worthy goal.