A good deed, or a done breed?

El_Capitan

I found $221 of folded cash on my office hallway today. Two $100 bills, a $20 bill, and a $1 bill. Without thinking, I asked people if it were their's, and one person said it could be his since he misplaced some money. I didn't think twice, but since there was another co-worker, I told him to bear witness that I gave it to him.

An hour or two later, the person that actually lost the money came looking for it, and he got his money back. :pfp:

On hindsight, I should have written an e-mail to everyone and if they came to me with the correct amount that was missing, I'd give it to them. Oh well, I'm a dumbass.

Hindsight is 20/20. Yeah, the email thing would have been better, but you still made an excellent decision by having another employee bear witness to you giving the money to another person claiming to be the owner of it. Yeah, the witness could have lied through his teeth for a cut of the money, but he didn't. In the end, the original owner got the money back. I know far too many who would have pocketed the money and pretended they never saw it. You're not perfect, but you made a good decision that resulted in a good deed being done. There's not much more a person could ask for.

• Like 1

I know that people always claim to have lost money but actually lie about it most of the time, so whatever money I find laying around I give to charity.

Edited by l33t p1mp

Hindsight is 20/20. Yeah, the email thing would have been better, but you still made an excellent decision by having another employee bear witness to you giving the money to another person claiming to be the owner of it. Yeah, the witness could have lied through his teeth for a cut of the money, but he didn't. In the end, the original owner got the money back. I know far too many who would have pocketed the money and pretended they never saw it. You're not perfect, but you made a good decision that resulted in a good deed being done. There's not much more a person could ask for.

:withstupid:

All you can do is try to do right thing, you can't read minds so if the wrong person claims it, there isn't much you can do about it. The email thing sounds nice in theory but not everyone keeps track of much money they have on them. If I had lost that money and came to claim, I couldn't have told you how I lost because I just don't consider how much I have on me, I mean even if you're talking estimates and rounded numbers I probably wouldn't know. However I suppose it would work fine in this case because there are only four bills there, I reckon a person could easily remember if it was only four bills.

Cap - I've got a story along those lines. I was returning home from a trip overseas. When I landed at our regional airport the first thing I did was hit the bathroom. In the men's stall there was a fanny pack looking thing hanging on the coat hook. I unzipped it and found over $600 in cash, a credit card, driver's license and passport. I waited outside the men's restroom for almost a half hour thinking that the guy might come back. I mean I knew his name, what he looked like etc. so it wouldn't have been hard to identify him. The owner never did come back though. I thought I only had three choices;

contact the sheriff's department

leave the bag where i found it

give the bag to airport security

Of the three I chose to give the bag to airport security along with one of my business cards.

I never did hear back from the owner of that bag, so don't know to this day whether the airport security guard kept it, turned it over to someone else or if the guy ever came back to claim his possessions.

giving it to airport security is like giving it to the homeless man out front saying you'll be right back.

airport security = can't get hired at the mall

and if you have ever flown in the last 10 years, you can see the reliance on machines versus intelligent people and how its shifted to basically a monkey with scanning equiptment

anymore if someone were to having a bomb, the amount of people in the lines waiting to get through security checkpoints

is probably getting more than even on a plane, eventually we will have checkpoint terrorism lol