Overclocking My GTX 570

The stock cooler nearly fried my card running STOCK under heavy load. Numerous reviews around the web saw the same problem.

Lol, got a bad 2nd hand card :whistling: Mine was fine to 1000mhz core and 1300mhz mem at 1.3v on the stock cooler at 100%. Yes it was Winter that time but I could still get a good overclock in summer. But this topic isn't about the 5970, its about opinions on the accelero

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lol, got a bad 2nd hand card :whistling: Mine was fine to 1000mhz core and 1300mhz mem at 1.3v on the stock cooler at 100%. Yes it was Winter that time but I could still get a good overclock in summer. But this topic isn't about the 5970, its about opinions on the accelero

If you were doing that your card was probably close to exploding. The stock cooler just can't handle that kind of heat, nor can any air cooler.

My full cover waterblock can't handle high loads at 1.3v and 1 GHz core...there's no way your stock cooler would have. And no, I don't consider a couple runs of 3DMark to be "high load". :lol: If you actually ran those settings on the stock cooler I'm sorry for whoever got it after you. :P

Anyway - back to the Accelero - last I saw they'd fixed the VRM cooling issues they were having. No, they aren't perfect, but they are better than stock in almost every case. :cheers:

If you were doing that your card was probably close to exploding. The stock cooler just can't handle that kind of heat, nor can any air cooler.

My full cover waterblock can't handle high loads at 1.3v and 1 GHz core...there's no way your stock cooler would have. And no, I don't consider a couple runs of 3DMark to be "high load". :lol: If you actually ran those settings on the stock cooler I'm sorry for whoever got it after you. :P

Anyway - back to the Accelero - last I saw they'd fixed the VRM cooling issues they were having. No, they aren't perfect, but they are better than stock in almost every case. :cheers:

My stock cooler handled that kind of heat, actually on Furmark :whistling: You just werent lucky whereas I was.

Back to the Accelero, please show where they said that they fixed the VRM cooling issues ? Because I still see a tiny thing that they call a "heatsink for VRM's" with their latest Accelero Xtreme Plus II :lol:

My stock cooler handled that kind of heat, actually on Furmark :whistling: You just werent lucky whereas I was.

I highly doubt that, but whatever. :lol:

For the Accelero:

http://www.overclock.net/t/754712/accelero-xtreme-5970-review :cheers:

It's fine for light overclocking without killing your ears. It won't handle a full-on balls-to-the-wall OC without being dangerous, nor will any air cooler.

My final piece of advice before I leave this thread, dont buy the Accelero. You're going to WC it anyway so its stupid to get the Accelero unless you just want to waste money, rather put that Accelero money to a better rad for when you do WC it.

I was under the impression that he would upgrade his GPU when building a new rig - so he just wants something decent and quiet for now. The Accelero fits the bill. :cheers:

So how is the Accelero worse than the stock cooler? I have the twin frozer II heatsink and it is failing to keep the cards cool at full heavy load for very long.

I pulled the coolers and reapplied some arctic silver. The heat sinks don't tighten down very well at all. Temps were about 5 deg better but not great. Hey OP, you still want to buy one? :down:

The heatsink does not have direct contact heat pipes, and only touches the gpu chip. So, I would have thought the Accelero was a good upgrade. I have an old Zalman hanging around, maybe its worth a shot, but I HATE the lack of card controlled fan speed.

I found it very easy to max usage by running BF3 campain and just sitting at the loading screen with no Vsync on. You'll hit 98% usage on both cards immediately and temps will just slowly climb up and up. The new adaptive Vsync is great and SO necessary for BF3. Even in Multiplayer, in between rounds cards will max out and temps start climbing. Stock clocks hit 80 pretty quick and any OC will hit 90 and throttle or crash.