Radeon HD5570: The Saga Continues

Hi everyone,

I have a AMD Bulldozer FX rig with a HD5570 GPU (I will be upgrading the GPU shortly), however I noticed something unexpected when looking at the BF3 performance log, below is a screenshot:

I noticed the GPU and CPU usage correspond almost exactly, the only plausible explaination of which I can find is that the CPU is somehow rendering as a GPU? Or, more concerningly, is my CPU bottlenecking my GPU? :erm:

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Euro :cheers:

Edit: Moved to new post

Edit 2: Just realized this is in the wrong category since I changed the thread title, if any mods or admins would like to move this to 'Graphics Cards and Monitors' that would be greatly appreciated cheers.gif

Edited by EuroFight

faildozer isnt exactly a fast processor :lol:

so it could well bottleneck your gpu :P

Hmmm I should think even a Faildozer should be able to keep up with a low-mid end 2010 card though? Our am I wrong?

Cheers for the reply though :cheers:

Edited by EuroFight

Bulldozers are pretty slow single threaded. Even my 4870X2 was slower with my 8120 versus my older Phenom 2 in games.

Anyway - high CPU usage along with high GPU usage isn't terribly uncommon. I wouldn't worry about it. :cheers:

Bulldozers are pretty slow single threaded. Even my 4870X2 was slower with my 8120 versus my older Phenom 2 in games.

Anyway - high CPU usage along with high GPU usage isn't terribly uncommon. I wouldn't worry about it. :cheers:

I thought BF3 was multithreaded...ah well thanks for putting my mind at rest anyway :cheers:

It is, but even with multithreading the slowest thread can keep the whole game waiting.

Borderlands 2 running PhysX on the CPU is a perfect example of this.

I'm wondering if this is how a card dies, the crashes have happened with increasingly, and just now;

Catalyst Error (Will now not show card details)

GPU-Z Details:

The system crashed with no BSOD (Had to shut down from blank screen manually) while in-game World of Tanks

I noticed GPU temp at 62C while fan was at 15%, hence I checked VISION engine and noticed the error...one for an RMA?

From the first screen, it is clear that the GPU is having some issues. Nice to hear that you have send it for RMA already.

Need to wait for the response from support though...apparently they get weekends off

Surprisingly, reinstalling the latest version of Catalyst today resolved the 'driver' issue (Although it decided not to yesterday)...just hit 63.5C and the tin can's at 22% fan now