Time to upgrade gpu?

Tigerdirect is having a sale on the 7950 (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8140415&Sku=). And I've had my 6870 for a while with my 1440p monitor and it is starting to struggle when playing at that resolution. I could probably hold off until the next generation comes out but is it really worth the wait? I don't want to wait and then my i5 2500k is then out of date. Do any of you guys think that the ps4 will be the last consoles? If it is, do you think we will come to the point where we will no longer need a faster gpu for gaming? If thats the case, should I wait until technology hits that wall, or is that too far down the road?

As of yet, no real performance charts have been leaked from the next generation of AMD cards. The only generation to which you can compare is the 7xx from nVidia.

The 7950 is around the performance of a GTX 760 (give or take depending of game). The only disadvantage is the lack of PhysX. Borderlands will
play and look better on a nVidia 6xx than on a HD 79xx, due to use of PhysX.

A 7950 is also a great deal better than a 6950, which is a good improvement.

About your 2500K, it is not a slow processor, having better performance in single task applications than all the line of AMD, and can overclock by a good margin.

Do not worry about your CPU getting old, it is not like you have a 6 years old CPU. This does not limit you in any way for your choice of GPU.
If you have a good power supply, get the best GPU you can afford, you will not regret it. Take note that even a 7970GHz edition puts a knee down in some games at 1440p.

If you are looking for dual card in the future, well the solution is simple : EVGA GTX 760
From other review site I saw close to 10% improvement to any game compared to std 7950.

nVidia does not have a blatant dual-card stuttering problem like AMD does.

Plus you gain Physx.

If you are looking for dual card in the future, well the solution is simple : EVGA GTX 760

From other review site I saw close to 10% improvement to any game compared to std 7950.

Plus you gain Physx.

Do you think 2Gb will be enough? I have 2 monitors but only game on the 1440p one.

Plus you gain Physx.

Do you think 2Gb will be enough? I have 2 monitors but only game on the 1440p one.

I wouldn't risk it, I had my glorious 5970 goto an early retirement because of the lack of Vram...don't let it happen to youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!! :lol:

That is a tough question, yes the HD 7950 should a definitive advantage ( I mean should because I cannot test it) with one more gig on it's PCB. The thing is... can it handle the higher load?
This of it this way, would you get (not verified, just making a point here) a Core 2 duo with 2 MB of cache or a i3-3120 with 1MB cache. Who will process the instructions faster?

Let's now come back to our sheeps. According to OCC, they are competing each other very well. According to PCPER, in 1440p, the 760 is less subject to stutters, as well on HotHardware.

Those are the clearest demarcations I could find on the net. Take also note that if you count on having 2 cards, the nVidia is superior as seen at HotHardware. At TechReport , one of the
first gang to be concerned by frame times, The 760 has a bit more stutters.

Not many sites are clearly comparing frame times between 7950 and 760 clearly. This would be your gameplay experience. I'd say choose one another depending on the games you play,
if PhysX enhances any game for you