Free Anti-Virus Comparison Reviewed

Bosco

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not much a review to be honest, doesn't cover the vital function of an antivirus program

Obviously, AV testing is not easy and it'll cost a lot of money and resources to properly test out the AV suite. Its more of a roundup I guess..

I have used AVG for years and Avast for about 6 months and Panda Cloud for years as well.   I am currently using Panda Cloud as it seems the most responsive to Malware and Virus.  I have had several instances where it has picked up and solved my intrusions live.  This is a good feeling that keeps me using Panda.

I've tried most every AV known to man.  Both paid for and free.  I held Kaspersky in high regard, and then ESET NOD32 took the crown in "paid" for AV.  As the home network grew it just became a huge financial burden to keep all the different PCs with up to date paid AV solutions - so that pushed me to try "free" versions.

AVG, Avira, Avast, Panda Cloud have made their way onto one or more of my personal rigs though time.  However, with the release of Win7 I switched to MSE and haven't looked back.  I combine that with on demand Malware Bytes and knock on wood haven't had any trouble with that solution.

At the business we run Norton.

Not a bad review, could use more tigers. :P

My preference for AV for a long time was Avira, mainly for being light on resources and less annoying than most. Sadly the second part has become less of a pro in recent years with them so now I use Avast, which is by far my favorite. I've tried all of those reviewed except for Immunet, can't say I cared for anything aside from Avast and Malwarebytes, those two are all I've ever found useful. I did use and like AVG for a while but I found it to be a resource hog and brought up way too many false alarms. Panda is okay, I never tried it much since I already had Avast.

I think one thing that may have made the review better is to consider how each AV advertises and alerts. I find there are many AV that advertise their full version too much if you're using their free version, at the same time I have found some to have very annoying and intrusive alert pop-ups, ones that would automatically override any other program you have up and you can't throw the pop-up into the background. it's been my experience that most customers I've had would prefer something like Norton over Avira simply because Avira has annoying pop-ups and ads, which is sad because they usually don't have a computer that can handle a resource hog like Norton.

I've tried most every AV known to man.  Both paid for and free.  I held Kaspersky in high regard, and then ESET NOD32 took the crown in "paid" for AV.  As the home network grew it just became a huge financial burden to keep all the different PCs with up to date paid AV solutions - so that pushed me to try "free" versions.

AVG, Avira, Avast, Panda Cloud have made their way onto one or more of my personal rigs though time.  However, with the release of Win7 I switched to MSE and haven't looked back.  I combine that with on demand Malware Bytes and knock on wood haven't had any trouble with that solution.

At the business we run Norton.

I agree that Nod32 is king.

Not much a review to be honest, doesn't cover the vital function of an antivirus program

Obviously, AV testing is not easy and it'll cost a lot of money and resources to properly test out the AV suite. Its more of a roundup I guess..

I classify it as a speed test.

In my opinion I don't know if we will ever truly know how good an Anti Virus is or whats better then the other. I think there is way to many variables for us to ever know the truth, but I am sure the truth is out there haha

comodo internet security is easily up there with the best, it has sandbox mode, virtual kiosk (like virtual pc) and real time protection , i cannot see why it wasn't reviewed too ??

Answered that question earlier. The Comodo AV has had issues with drivers on my laptop, which is the machine I was running the tests on.

I should not read this article..

:teehee:

IMO, they are free because of some specific reasons...  And there are many reason for the paid ones being popular as paid.

The free versions are essentially shareware, and thus a good way to advertize and promote the paid product. Same reason why many have trial periods of the full version. Plus having a capable free product creates a positive image of the company as caring about your security, even if you do not pay them to care. Basically, free versions are good for the user and good for the company. Paid versions are also good for all parties involved as it provides revenue for the company and provides additional functionality to the user, along with improved support, in some cases. (Plus some of the free versions have a license forbidding commercial use, so companies need the paid version to deploy it on their machines.)