XFX HD 5870 Tested

jammin

It all depends on your roots. Generally speaking overclocking use to be about buying something cheap (because you couldn't afford better), and making it rock! Nowadays its spread out more, some do it because they want/need to, others do it to break records.

4870x2 is a decent card, plenty for gaming right now for the most part. There a pro's and cons to both - the 4870x2 has a ton of heat to dispatch, both are roughly the same size, the 4870x2 is cheaper, etc. With DX11 you have some future proofing, but who knows how popular it will be when you look at DX10. These are all things that the consumers have to think about before making a decision on what to get. Crysis still needs MOAR POWAR

Edited by RHKCommander959

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can afford it...I could have waited to buy it instead of 4870. I simply didn't because I don't need it. I am really surprised how this is such a big deal. I have nothing against the card itself...it's a great card, but right now...I don't see why so many people want to upgrade to it or buy it or whatever since it doesn't do you much good if you can't use it to the fullest at the price it's at. Sure it might be faster and have 10k features, but so what if half of them are way ahead of the technology that they will be used for. The logical choice would be to wait until the games and other software catch up to it, and buy it then at a cheaper price. In 6 months it will be at least 30% cheaper as are all other gpus before it.

I can afford it...I could have waited to buy it instead of 4870. I simply didn't because I don't need it. I am really surprised how this is such a big deal. I have nothing against the card itself...it's a great card, but right now...I don't see why so many people want to upgrade to it or buy it or whatever since it doesn't do you much good if you can't use it to the fullest at the price it's at. Sure it might be faster and have 10k features, but so what if half of them are way ahead of the technology that they will be used for. The logical choice would be to wait until the games and other software catch up to it, and buy it then at a cheaper price. In 6 months it will be at least 30% cheaper as are all other gpus before it.

It's not a big deal. Just a discussion.

Those are good points. There are always people who go for the new thing and there always will be. Excitement comes with new technology. And with the release of a new line the older line gets cheaper. Performance comes with a price, as does how new something is to the market. Price to performance ratios are a good thing to keep an eye on.

For someone with a smaller monitor this card is overkill, buying it for the Eyefinity doesn't make sense if you only use a single monitor, etc. On a reolution of 2560x1600 things are very different. If a 4870 fits the needs then of course you wouldn't need the 5870. However the 4870 doesn't satisfy everyone, an example would be anyone wanting to run Crysis Warhead well with high graphics and get a good frame rate. The lower resolutions are pretty good for the 5870, while the 4870 has some trouble. Comparing the 5870 to the 4870x2 in the Sapphire review shows that until the biggest resolution the 5870 did far better. I uses Crysis Warhead as the comparison because of the low frame rates that it produces - it isn't too fun gaming at 10-15FPS.

Another reason people are excited about AMD's 5870 has taken the single GPU performance crown from Nvidia's GTX285.

I think you are sadly mistaken and have developed Ivy syndrome! Play on a 30 inch LCD and tell me its a waste. I could crank up the settings in the reviews and make the current cards look weak!

oh you :rolleyes:

No his example was worse than a "IVI certified" because I'd provide the 4870x2 as an argument, not DX11. Since performance matters to me, not technologies that aren't utilized yet.

Edited by IVIYTH0S

like I said...waste of money at this stage. No games to take advantage of dx11...no nothing....this gpu is no better than any other xfx before it with the exception of the speed which can be overclocked. Not my opinion, facts.

Not everyone uses there video cards for those silly butt games anyway, there has been a little more than the clock speed changed if my memory serves me right, seems like we have had some dies shrinks with less power consumption also. If I listened to you I would still be using my 9800...

And by 9800, you mean Radeon 9800, right? :P

Hell, I'd still be using my TNT 2 M64. :lol:

http://www.nvidia.com/page/tnt2.html

Wow, nVidia still has a page up for it. :lol: MEGApixels per second. :lol:

EDIT: ROFL. Just refreshing the screen it could only do 112 FPS at 1920x1080 maximum. That's kinda hilarious.

Edited by Waco