Awesome parenting

Silas13013

Eh, I don't know.

If I was going to break a laptop to prove a point I would have snapped it over my knee.

Try it some time, its like punching a Unicorn in the face. Serious fun.

Nah too boring. Gun was a good choice. Or perhaps fire...or even better yet use some bootleg fireworks on it!

You might want to watch the video again. She was complaining about making coffee...not serving it. They don't pay the cleaning lady. They trade services with her. You're basing way too much on just a partial story of a ranting 15 year old girl.

She said make a cup of coffee. A cup. What are you going to do just let the cup sit there? Generally, when you say you make a cup of something you are usually presenting it too. For instance, I MADE my girlfriend breakfast in bed. You wouldn't say I made my girlfriend breakfast in bed, and then I took it up to her and served it to her in her bed. Ok maybe I would but that is a whole different story :lol: I think it is fairly safe to say she was serving it too.

Trading service is paying. Is it an abstract concept, but it is indeed paying. If they weren't trading then they would be paying each other service. They just cut out the middle man.

And yes, the last part is true, and I have been giving it a lot of thought. The dad is bias and the girl is obviously bias. With both parties biased the only way in which I can make a logical approach to extract the truth is in what the dad says the daughter is saying. A bias against the opposite bias would cancel out the bias of the message. In theory. So you could (notice I said the word could) be able to filter out any BS though facial twitches like shaking his head or something like that.

Here is what the girl has going for her. If this were just a little whiny girl, like something simple, I think she would have complained to her dad before posting it on face book. The fact that she kept it a secret says that she knows she has it hard, and she knows it can get worse. That being the case, she wouldn't dare whine to her dad. But to take it the step further to go on facebook suggests it is something more than a whine at all.

Then when he shoots the laptop? I mean for goodness sakes back up all the data. Wipe the hard drive clean, and donate it. Shooting it just shows that you shouldn't have a gun to begin with because you aren't using it responsibly.

You still haven't answered my question of whether you think it would have been any more or less *"acceptable"* if he had hacked at the laptop with a hatchet or ran it over.

derpw.gif

Breaking the laptop was wrong. Period. There are plenty of people who could have used that laptop. Maybe the library could have used it for something. Should he have taken it away? Sure. But don't be a child yourself and bust it up.

:lol: I see that this thread is still going strong.

Let me ask you teenagers. Suppose you are the head of a household. After a long day's work to put food on the table, put clothes on your family's backs, put a roof over your family's heads, buy gadgets for your family members, prepare dinner for you and so on, would it be too much to have your child perform a simple task such as making coffee for you, take care of the garden, or do the dishes? As I once thought this way when I was younger, I can attest to how children are self-centered/narrow minded/inconsiderate/whatever you want to call it; they do not want to take responsibility and help around the house, as they do not view these tasks as entertaining.

As I previously stated several pages ago, children feel that their efforts are not appreciated by their parents; I for one felt that way growing up. But ask yourselves this. Are you appreciative of what your parents provide for you and do for you? If you are, then you wouldn't be griping and moaning about menial tasks such as doing dishes or making coffee.

Edit: Angel, even though you do not agree with him destroying the laptop to make a point it doesn't mean it is wrong. Personally, I wouldn't have destroyed the laptop as it could have gone to better use. But who is to judge whether that is right or wrong? Sometimes you cannot place a monetary value on a message.

Angel, your example is flawed. Making something does not entail serving it to the person. You do know that the sentence "I made my girlfriend breakfast in bed" implies that it was presented it to the person with the "in bed" part. Now consider this. S made dinner for A. Does that sentence indicate any where that S presented the meal to A? Could it not be the case that S just made the meal and left it on the stove/counter top/microwave/and so on?

Angel, I do not mean to pick on you. But it is hard to not address you when you are fervently attacking this father's actions in his video but are providing examples with faulty logic. And in some sense I agree with you that physical punishment could be detrimental to a child's upbringing. Even psychological punishments as ones suggested by previous posters could be damaging to a child. But there are no absolutes. For some children the physical punishment method will work best, for others it may not work and have a negative effect. As long as the child is not being abused, it is not for us outsiders to tell the parents which method to use and which not to use.

Edited by PremiumAcc

First off I agree with you more than you think. I actually agree with all of you more than you think (except spanking and belts).

Look the girl was not upset that she did not go on a date with a guy who only wears pants and rides a motor cycle. She is upset that her work goes unappreciated. For instance I agree with you about some chores. If nothing else it can teach kids that they need to help the family to maintain the house. If all she was complaining about was that she cleans the floor. I would agree with this guy too. However, she is upset that she cleans the floor and then the parents track mud though the house. Now why can't the "adult" of the situation take off his shoes outside, carry them in, and be careful not to tack dirt? We do that to help our mom, why is it so hard if he does it?

Second was the coffee part. Look guys, cooking, cleaning, taking out the trash, mowing, and even setting the table I can get and appreciate. They all teach to at least some extent that everyone should all work together. But this sounds like the parents are sitting around and they want to be served coffee. Chores, I can at least compromise on, but servitude is another thing entirely. I mean can't we say that it is at least a little odd? I was wrong to put it as harshly as slave labor before, and I am trying to come down off my language as much as I can to be polite as I can. But I mean can't we call a little BS and call it an abnormal chore? I am going to say the daughter was right on that one. You all are free to disagree with me.

Thirdly, they do have a cleaning lady. Here is where I have to start scratching my head. Now, I do agree that children AND adults both should work together to clean the house. However, if you have a cleaning lady.........and your daughter is cleaning up XYZ......... What is the cleaning lady doing? If the floors are clean plus or minus tracked mud, the trash is taken out, dishes are done, laundry is done, dusting would probably be done. What does she do? Stand around? What it sounds like to me is the cleaning lady and Hannah work together to clean the house while the dad does his job, and the mom does......mom things? Plus, since we are all about lessons anyways, why not pay hannah for her work around the house? I mean they are obviously paying the cleaning lady, so why not Hannah for relatively the same reason? It would at least teach Hannah the value of a dollar though hard work. I think that would surely be a better lesson than sheer discipline. Plus, if she were getting payed, what would there be to complain about anyways? Sounds like a win win win to me? Either way, there is some really strange sort of discrepancy here. Either the mother is doing nothing, the cleaning lady is doing nothing, or hannah is doing nothing of which I highly doubt considering how strict things are. So again, it is something that doesn't quite sit right with me.

Next is the garden. Now unless this was a fruit and or vegetable garden that would actually provide the family food, then I am with Hannah yet again. If I were a leader. I will use leader so I don't say parent, and yes I have been a leader. If I were a leader, and I wanted a project done for my amusement, I would do it myself. I might ask for help on it but I certainly would not abuse the work force of those under me. If I were in the same situation, I would be sure to to the garden myself. It is my garden, my plants, my enjoyment, my problem. At least that is how I think, and I do have a small garden outside so I would know. It is odd that you make your daughter do it as a chore. Again this would only work if the garden was not a family garden in which food for the family was grown. Then I think it would be fair.

I mean I really am for some sort of social structure that supports the family. I just don't think that this has the same pure intention as normal chores do. That is all.

I think it was Hannah's full and total right to what whatever the crap she wants. I think it is her dads right to react minus the gun. However, children have the right to freedom of speech, freedom of though, and freedom of expression just as the rest of us do. Believe me I guarantee you this. She can either say it now and there can be eventually some sort of understanding between one and other, or she will suppress it all and say it all over again the day she is out of the house and never see her family again. Which one would you rather have?

By the way I never did compare this guy to physically abusive family. I did with the whole spanking and the belt thing, but they are a bit separate from one and other.

1. Since when does it say the adults are not taking off their shoes and tracking dirt into the house? The floors will naturally get dirty with time; anyone who owns their own place will know that for a fact. She's upset that she has to do all these chores like some slave, to which we both agree that these are merely chores. i.e. She's overreacting to the things she has to do.

2. These are her PARENTS. Not co-workers, nor school friends, nor teachers. Do you ever do favors for your parents? Do you help them when they don't have time to do whatever thing they need doing around the house? As a child, there should be a sense of 'paying back' (for lack of a better term) to your parents for bringing you into this world. Ok so your parents are busy with work and don't have time to brew some coffee. As their child, what are you going to do? Sit idly by and not care, or do what you SHOULD be doing an helping out in the house by aiding your parents? Now, we don't know if this is truly the situation, but you have no idea if the situation you describe is correct either. But I'm just saying, you have no proof that the whole coffee thing is as drawn out and horrible as you describe.

3. Nothing is black and white as you're trying to describe. "Clean the house" isn't always "clean the house" in the same context. Ok so they have a person that comes to help around the house. Do you know specifically what she's been asked to do? And keep in mind, the person isn't exactly a "cleaning lady", as the father explains in the video. He's actually referring to the fact that calling her a "cleaning lady" was disrespectful. So let's say she's someone that helps around the house. Well you know what? If it's at that point where she doesn't get paid and it's a friend dropping by to help, what makes you think she'll be doing all the work such as doing all the laundry and making all the beds? From what it seems, she's NOT a maid. And so what if there is a person helping around the house? Is something as simple as making sure the counters are wiped and dishes in the dishwasher such a hard job to do? Or doing regular sweeping of floors to keep things clean for everyone else? Maintaining a house is maintaining a house - everyone has to pitch in no matter if you have a "cleaning lady" or not.

4. Where are you getting this garden idea from? We're not talking about productivity-related groups here - we're talking about a FAMILY. And you know what? That means your thinking of "everyone should roam free to do what they want" doesn't exactly work. You're dealing with a family where there will be some members who ARE naive (hannah in this case) of the hard work of real life and maintaining a stable life. You can't expect a child to be perfectly ok by letting them do what their heart's desire. They need discipline and someone to show them what is right and wrong. Their minds are still developing - they need to LEARN.

Ok so Hannah has the right to say or do whatever she wants. You know what? I have to right to go into the middle of the city and shout racial statements at everyone around me. Freedom of speech right? Well you know what? There will always be a CONSEQUENCE to what people do. I go out in public like that, I get hated by others, taken down by police for disturbing the peace, etc. Hannah decides to disrespect her family on the internet? She's paying the price of showing her "Freedom of speech" by not having a laptop anymore. That's her CONSEQUENCE. Whether she decides to think before she speaks and respect her parents is one thing is up to her, but in no way is it ok to make an outburst like she did. She's embarrassing herself, and the people who brought her life. And for what? A couple of simple chores? And now look, she's paying the price of her actions. That's the only way she'll learn and hopefully, it'll show her that she ought to appreciate what her parents do for her.

1. Since when does it say the adults are not taking off their shoes and tracking dirt into the house? The floors will naturally get dirty with time; anyone who owns their own place will know that for a fact. She's upset that she has to do all these chores like some slave, to which we both agree that these are merely chores. i.e. She's overreacting to the things she has to do.

2. These are her PARENTS. Not co-workers, nor school friends, nor teachers. Do you ever do favors for your parents? Do you help them when they don't have time to do whatever thing they need doing around the house? As a child, there should be a sense of 'paying back' (for lack of a better term) to your parents for bringing you into this world. Ok so your parents are busy with work and don't have time to brew some coffee. As their child, what are you going to do? Sit idly by and not care, or do what you SHOULD be doing an helping out in the house by aiding your parents? Now, we don't know if this is truly the situation, but you have no idea if the situation you describe is correct either. But I'm just saying, you have no proof that the whole coffee thing is as drawn out and horrible as you describe.

3. Nothing is black and white as you're trying to describe. "Clean the house" isn't always "clean the house" in the same context. Ok so they have a person that comes to help around the house. Do you know specifically what she's been asked to do? And keep in mind, the person isn't exactly a "cleaning lady", as the father explains in the video. He's actually referring to the fact that calling her a "cleaning lady" was disrespectful. So let's say she's someone that helps around the house. Well you know what? If it's at that point where she doesn't get paid and it's a friend dropping by to help, what makes you think she'll be doing all the work such as doing all the laundry and making all the beds? From what it seems, she's NOT a maid. And so what if there is a person helping around the house? Is something as simple as making sure the counters are wiped and dishes in the dishwasher such a hard job to do? Or doing regular sweeping of floors to keep things clean for everyone else? Maintaining a house is maintaining a house - everyone has to pitch in no matter if you have a "cleaning lady" or not.

4. Where are you getting this garden idea from? We're not talking about productivity-related groups here - we're talking about a FAMILY. And you know what? That means your thinking of "everyone should roam free to do what they want" doesn't exactly work. You're dealing with a family where there will be some members who ARE naive (hannah in this case) of the hard work of real life and maintaining a stable life. You can't expect a child to be perfectly ok by letting them do what their heart's desire. They need discipline and someone to show them what is right and wrong. Their minds are still developing - they need to LEARN.

Ok so Hannah has the right to say or do whatever she wants. You know what? I have to right to go into the middle of the city and shout racial statements at everyone around me. Freedom of speech right? Well you know what? There will always be a CONSEQUENCE to what people do. I go out in public like that, I get hated by others, taken down by police for disturbing the peace, etc. Hannah decides to disrespect her family on the internet? She's paying the price of showing her "Freedom of speech" by not having a laptop anymore. That's her CONSEQUENCE. Whether she decides to think before she speaks and respect her parents is one thing is up to her, but in no way is it ok to make an outburst like she did. She's embarrassing herself, and the people who brought her life. And for what? A couple of simple chores? And now look, she's paying the price of her actions. That's the only way she'll learn and hopefully, it'll show her that she ought to appreciate what her parents do for her.

BTW, no one has freedom of speech in the US, since certain speech at certain times are restricted as ruled by the Supreme Court.

Also, no one has freedom of thought or belief, you would like to believe you do, but in actuality no one is free since we inherit our beliefs from our parents/mentors/peers/and so on.

On a side note, there is no such thing as freedom if you need to define what freedom is.

Edited by PremiumAcc

BTW, no one has freedom of speech in the US, since certain speech at certain times are restricted as ruled by the Supreme Court.

No one has freedom of thought or belief, you would like to believe you do, but in actuality no one is free since we inherit our beliefs from our parents/mentors/peers/and so on.

On a side note, there is no such thing as freedom if you need to define what freedom is.

Technically, people are free to do as they wish. But not everyone goes off spreading racism or murdering people because there are consequences to their actions - by doing those actions, one is disrespecting individuals, the country, and themselves. Like I said, the daughter does something wrong, she pays the consequences and loses her laptop. Simple as that. No violence, no injuries, nothing extreme (aside from the gun). I don't understand what there is to argue about anymore. As we can see, the father and his daughter is completely fine after this confrontation - she's doing even better than before.

Technically, people are free to do as they wish. But not everyone goes off spreading racism or murdering people because there are consequences to their actions - by doing those actions, one is disrespecting individuals, the country, and themselves. Like I said, the daughter does something wrong, she pays the consequences and loses her laptop. Simple as that. No violence, no injuries, nothing extreme (aside from the gun). I don't understand what there is to argue about anymore. As we can see, the father and his daughter is completely fine after this confrontation - she's doing even better than before.

Okay, I understand what you are trying to convey (the freedom of choice) but I wouldn't necessarily call that freedom, as the individual is constrained/influenced/coerced in his decision for fear of repercussion and reprisal. Did slaves have freedom because they could have chosen to speak out or rebel against their masters but would have faced severe consequences?

This is whole separate topic. But it is food for thought since Angel brought up freedom.

Edit: That previous comment was meant to quote Angel, not you Aaron.

Edited by PremiumAcc