Normal Temps for AMD 8120 CPU

hylander

Hi all, new here.

Hope I am in the correct forum,

I have an AMD 8120, with stock cooler running @ 3.10 GHZ. 8g DDR3,and ASUS Radeon CU 6870.New 850 PSU, on ASUS M5A97 MB 3x200mm 1x120mm (rear exhaust) fans (1 on the side blowing on the MB&GPU 1 on the top venting out one in the front pulling in) The case is Thermaltakes Overseer RX1

When I play CIV V my CPU will jump to 70 C,(seen it go to 80 C) and the GPU will sometimes hit North of that. 75-80 C,( after about 45-60 mins) this of course gets all 3 fans going full blast, and I actually feel the heat coming out of the tower.And yet when playing something like Skyrim, no issues.

My question is what is the normal thermal envelope that my CPU and GPU should be in.

Using CPUID and CORE TEMP, I got rid of AI SUITE,

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AMD CPUs should not go over 80C for extended periods, 70C is on the high side, while AMD recommend 62C. I would check the cooler is properly seated and there is not too little or too much thermal paste on the heatsink (around a pea sized amount is recommended)

GPUs are generally more tolerable to extreme temperatures, generally 70-90C is acceptable, sometimes 100C is fine, but it varies by manufacturer, so I would recommend you check for your specific model

Edited by EuroFight

AMD CPUs should not go over 80C for extended periods, 70C is on the high side, while AMD recommend 62C. I would check the cooler is properly seated and there is not too little or too much thermal paste on the heatsink (around a pea sized amount is recommended)

GPUs are generally more tolerable to extreme temperatures, generally 70-90C is acceptable, sometimes 100C is fine, but it varies by manufacturer, so I would recommend you check for your specific model

Thanks EuroFight for the quick response

I have no idea on the thermal paste for the heatsink as it came pre-installed.I have re-seated the cooler,and I think I did a proper job of it.

Actually I have been saving to go with a liquid cooled set up, but due to the holidays it is out of budget atm.

I will probably go with the H100i. But I haven't come across a lot of info on them as of yet.(too new I suppose) plus being in Western Canada, we don't get a lot of "in store options" for better products.

BTW, Nice system you have there.

No problem, just one quicl.thing, have you been looking at core temp or the actual CPU temp (Sometimes called TMPIN_1 or 2), as in my experience, certain AMD processors do not report accurate core temperatures by themselves

No problem, just one quicl.thing, have you been looking at core temp or the actual CPU temp (Sometimes called TMPIN_1 or 2), as in my experience, certain AMD processors do not report accurate core temperatures by themselves

Good question, I am looking at whatever is reported in the BIOS and CORETEMP reports,they are usually within a degree or so of each other.I allow for the BIOS to be a tad lower as I am rebooting to go into it.

I will just put in a plug for the H100i here too, as it was mentioned in the thread.  It's a great cooler that gives phenomenal results.  The price is not bad, and sometimes you can find it on sale at the Egg.  My only complaint about it is the high-pitched noise emanating from the fans.  If it weren't for that issue, the cooler would be completely silent (though it can get very loud with the fans turned up).  Corsair said they have a firmware update in the works for the noise, so hopefully we will see a solution here soon.  Let me know if you have any questions about it.

I will just put in a plug for the H100i here too, as it was mentioned in the thread.  It's a great cooler that gives phenomenal results.  The price is not bad, and sometimes you can find it on sale at the Egg.  My only complaint about it is the high-pitched noise emanating from the fans.  If it weren't for that issue, the cooler would be completely silent (though it can get very loud with the fans turned up).  Corsair said they have a firmware update in the works for the noise, so hopefully we will see a solution here soon.  Let me know if you have any questions about it.

Thanks Pharmacy Phreak,

I have been reading of the noise issue also.Sure hope they get it or a fix befor I buy.