Total War: Rome II

Black64

Surprised I haven't seen a thread for this game yet? Well I've always been a big fans of RTS games and I do like the total war series.

Official website

Well I just got it a few days ago and I am stilling playing though the prelude. But the game crashes have made it unplayable for me right now. It's just starts stuttering and crashes with-in minutes. On top of that there is tons of sound glitches as well. I am just gonna have to wait for a patch now... :(

Anyone else having as much issues as I am?

Edited by Black64

I've not been experiencing any glitches at all, except for some laggy graphics at times.

I skipped the preludes as I was annoyed by the guy telling me what to do. I've been trying a few factions' campaigns, so far I'm hooked on my Athens campaign. The game is both a step forward and a step backwards. Forward because I like how the made some of the city management easier, especially considering how many towns you'll have be the end of the campaign, but it has also introduced a trillion settlements, which leads to millions of tiny factions. That leads to very long waiting periods between turns. Combat is quite nice, though different from Shogun II, but an improvement compared to the first Rome I'd say.

I didn't have any issues during the prelude, although afterwords it didn't show me as having completed it.

Only crash I encountered was after leveling up a spy, but then I couldn't repeat it so dismissed it. Have gotten more crashes in Skyrim. :lol:

There are some slowdowns I encounter, but it's just on the campaign map. Everything else is very sweet and I'm having a damn fun time going through Rome II. It does take a while to let all the factions play out during turns, but then there are so very many compared to past games. Got about 100 turns in with Rome before I decided to try out the Iceni, which are different and is going to take a bit of work to conquer other places. Start off with just one territory compared to four for Rome, so yeah, bit more work.

I've only encountered 3 problems :
One in the prologue part 2 where it froze before a battle
One where the troops retreating after a battle and they never actually left the battle so it took forever to declare victory 
And the horrible 50% usage on my GTX760, which doesn't even trigger the Nvidia boost from the stock 1080MHz to 1250MHz for intense battles - really need some patches and new Nvidia drivers to be released

But I'm really enjoying it :)

The game definitely needs to be patched, because it only utilizes 50% of my gpu. Though my 2GB of ram is maxxed out.

Like bp wrote, I like how different the various factions are, which adds to replayability and you need to know all the factions units. For instance, I play as Athens and they have only one sword wielding unit, but a trillion different spear wielding units. One of the factions main units are cavalry archers, while the northern factions have many different 1h weapon wielding units.

There's a lack of online battles though, but that might be because everyone is playing the campaign atm. One thing you need to try is to play online campaign with a friend. Get on skype or something and it is much more enjoyable. You might want two monitors though, since there's quite a long break between your turns  :doh:  :rolleyes: