Killer 2100 Gaming Network Card from Bigfoot Examined

Nemo

The review seems very positive of this card, even listing it as having "No cons", which I find very very hard to swallow given that the thing costs $70. At the very very least the con should be the cost.

I cant believe for even 2 seconds that that same $70 would not be better spent going towards another component.

Further, was the method of testing the card in file transfer not flawed? Surely the card can only perform as well as the other end will allow? If the other machine only has an On-board card, its never going to do anything great.

Big hype is made of the point that the Killer was 20MB/s faster in UDP, but almost no mention was made that is was slower by 30 MB/s in TCP...

I've read another review of this lately, and they found it had a couple areas of concern. Forget where the review was, or the areas of concern, but atleast this bigfoot card is doing slightly better than the previous models. Still not worth the $77, and it would be a very rare chance where the microsecond advantage, would actually be an advantage. But people will buy it, so they make it.

I wouldn't even pay $20 for this.

I would, I hate having a higher ping than someone else online.

I think I would be willing to pay $70 for it if I couldn't find a better use for the cash too. I like it.

$77 for marginal increases? I'd like to see one of these measured against an Intel PCI Network Adapter Card, see how it compares then.

"Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is a massive online multiplayer game"?! Since when was BF an MMO?

the ping is the time it takes to send and receive a packet, and there are just sooo many factors like the physical distance, quality and speed of the lines to and from there, etc. If network card A sends right now and bigfoot card sends now, they both start at 0 ms. Once they are sent, there is nothing the card can do about it, but wait for it to be received.

If we were using a really old, slow, single core cpu, very little other resources, and the pc some how actually lagged trying to do this, or during this micro transaction, I might understand since this card has dedicated resources. But with today's multicore and fast cpu's, I just don't see the need.

Edited by Fight Game

I could perhaps understand the use of this card, if all people concerned where playing on a LAN, and already had maxed out rigs.

But for online play, I just don't see it. Especially when your average joe will have some rubbish "free" router running some $9.99 per month package. THAT is going to be the biggest source of high pings. Not your network card.

I have to be honest, no matter how cheap this card was, I could never see myself buying it. Hell even if it was given to me free, Im not sure id waste a good PCIe port on it.

It makes no difference. So why put it in?

I would, I hate having a higher ping than someone else online.

I think I would be willing to pay $70 for it if I couldn't find a better use for the cash too. I like it.

It you counted the time that it saved you it would pay for itself in like a million or so years. A millisecond here and nanosecond there...... :popcorn:

One slide to represent latency, made of data gathered over 5 minute intervals? I would have liked to have seen more about this specifically.

Edit: Well also there is a slide to represent the speed test ping. The BC2 ping results are much more varied than those of the speed test, perhaps misleadingly so.

Edited by Hoopa