DDR5 Ram?

First of all, the DDR5 standards are most likely in the earliest design stages. DDR4 is still being developed heavily on, so I'd say give it 4 years or so before it's announced.

Secondly, DDR4 will benefit large servers and render farms and the likes the most, since they process huge amounts of data. These days people can't tell much difference between say a 1333 MHz RAM module and a 2133 MHz RAM module. DDR4 will reduce your power bill a little and boost your benchmarks by a small margin,  but other than that it won't make much difference until it has had time to mature for a couple of years.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DDR4 will be out with the next round of chipsets late this year / early next year IIRC.

It is. What I meant was that they are still working on pushing the limits of DDR4, so there's currently no real need for DDR5.

DDR4 will be out with the next round of chipsets late this year / early next year IIRC.

It is. What I meant was that they are still working on pushing the limits of DDR4, so there's currently no real need for DDR5.

Theres no real need for SLI either unless you have a really really old system and want 6 monitors.

Theres no real need for SLI either unless you have a really really old system and want 6 monitors.

No. :P

Ask the gamers.

Ask the gamers.

I am a gamer, A game runs just fine with 15-30fps, people don't really need a 7970 when a 7950 is like $100s cheaper and it gives you about the same performance. Look at titans, people are SLIing them 3 way which is ridiculous. But the point was technology always grows though people still go nuts for the next new thing even though what they have right now runs just fine, phones are a good example. DDR4 will just be a new hardware where everyone thinks it's superfast although I bet you DDR3 wont be that far behind it. In time perhaps when apps such as vegas pro are on version 20.5 it will be required but other then that I don't see it as a big deal.

But hey, we're all nerds here and we love owning the latest stuff so why not.

This is the the strangest and most unclear stance I've ever seen made against SLI. What are you trying to argue here?

Ask the gamers.

I am a gamer, A game runs just fine with 15-30fps, people don't really need a 7970 when a 7950 is like $100s cheaper and it gives you about the same performance. Look at titans, people are SLIing them 3 way which is ridiculous. But the point was technology always grows though people still go nuts for the next new thing even though what they have right now runs just fine, phones are a good example. DDR4 will just be a new hardware where everyone thinks it's superfast although I bet you DDR3 wont be that far behind it. In time perhaps when apps such as vegas pro are on version 20.5 it will be required but other then that I don't see it as a big deal.

Try running 4K resolution just a 7950....that's one of the reasons that'd keep me from a 4K monitor

Edited by IVIYTH0S

This is the the strangest and most unclear stance I've ever seen made against SLI. What are you trying to argue here?

Ask the gamers.

Try running 4K resolution just a 7950....that's one of the reasons that'd keep me from a 4K monitor

We don't need a 4k res to paly a game :P

The point is people have what they dont need, it's just a money dump on your end to constantly buy new hardware when what we own now runs games just fine. But like I said technology is all about pushing further so why not.

As humans we always buy what we don't need, it's just nature.

Edited by kennethk

Ask the gamers.

We don't need a 4k res to paly a game :P

The point is people have what they dont need, it's just a money dump on your end to constantly buy new hardware when what we own now runs games just fine. But like I said technology is all about pushing further so why not.

As humans we always buy what we don't need, it's just nature.

Well yeah, but you don't need a 7950 either you know? You can play on bare minimum settings and lower resolution on an your Intel processor's graphics but it wouldn't be as enjoyable.

Just saying people with multiple titans probably have 4K resolution monitors or multimonitor gaming setups and wouldn't have a playable experience without em

Thats true a 7770 should play games just fine I'm running a APU right now that I got for $70s. I ordered a 7950 because it went on sale and was at a good price point.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, hell I have tons of electronics I don't need. 

I went through a I want the latest hardware phase a few months ago and was nearly flat broke. lol. I'm fine with owning older technology now as it still performs just fine. Even the nexus 4 is on pair with a lot of the latest smartphones out there, I mean for normal every day usage however. It'll take them a couple year in my opinion to really optimize these high end spec devices to really take advantage of the hardware is all I'm saying.