Did CR Actually Confirm Apple's iPhone 4 Statement?

Bosco, don't be fooled, this is by far the best smartphone on the market ... as long as you don't hold it with your left half.

It is the fastest, most user-friendly, most supported, and easily the best camera on any of the smart phones. (I dare someone to prove me wrong here :) )

Android is very user friendly, have you ever used it. Though at this point you're accustomed to the iPhone so Android would *appear* difficult just because it would have an unfamiliar way of doing things.

Back then the iPhone was really something but now adays saying it is "the fastest, most user-friendly, most supported, and easily the best camera" is VERY subjective. There are other handsets that can trade blows with it all day...though you do have "most supported" part right because everyone does everything they can to support only apple products, but I see that changing as Android gains more market share. Usually whenever there's a common application, all three of the main mobile OS's get it (the third being Blackberry, which actually has the largest chunk of the mobile market)

It's understandable why companies do it all comes down to making products quickly and cheaply and then trying to make as much profit on them as possible but at certain point if a company lowers the quality of there products to much eventually people will stop buying from them and I was just wondering how long before Apple reaches that point.

Never, because apple is "special" :rolleyes:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Even though this antenna issue is a confirmed problem it hasn't really effect the sales of the iphone 4 at all.

It's a sign that Apple might start producing lower quality products if they know that people are going to buy there stuff without question.

I'm sure there are some people like Dave that decided to hold off on buying the iPhone 4 because of all the bad PR in regards to the antenna issue. But with more than 2 million iPhone 4s sold, the phone is still doing well. Even when you look at the complaints on the support forums and social networks, you have a few hundred maybe thousand people that are actually complaining about the issue. That's a small, but vocal, percentage comparatively. I'm sure some of those people will take the iPhone back and get a refund but I'd be willing to bed more of those people will keep the iPhone and just continue to bitch.

People are not forced to buy the iPhone, they choose to. They choose to buy the iPhone (in the US) when they knew it was on a cellular network that had a pretty bad rap, and they choose to buy the iPhone 4 when they know there are antenna issues.

Apple isn't going to start producing lower quality products "because they know people are just going to buy it." Apple sells their products at a premium, and part of that is because of the quality. Sure, the iPhone 4 antenna thing is a black mark, but it isn't the normal business practice like many automotive manufacturers.

Honestly if you want to look at it in another sense with Apple is just all of the products they release.

They really never really upgrade anything if you think about it..

How many Versions of the iPhone did they come out with? Most of your changes were all just Larger Storage space.

They come out with the iPhone then you end up with an iPod Touch. Same Hardware nothing really cool. Just another device they made to get money out of you.

iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4G while all of these are a bit different.. They really are all the same, not much has really been done.. Upgraded camera.. Made the OS run a bit faster.. New screen on the 4G..

Nothing that really sticks out to me IMO.

I mean look at it this way. They have the iphone, iphone 3gs then the iphone 4g almost identical hardware BUT they moved the antenna.. Well since the other phones worked great and since not much was changed they probably did not even bother testing it just because all the other iPhones worked fine.

But this is all my opinion and I am very tired.. So I have no idea really what I said.

The iPhone 4 was the most dramatic change to the iPhone lineup ever, yes the upgrades were pretty underwhelming in prior versions of the iPhone.

• iPhone - Was Edge network only. Had 128MB memory, a 620MHz processor underclocked to 412MHz, a 2 MP camera, and Bluetooth 2.0. The display had a resolution of 320x480 with a pixel density of 163 ppi and a 2:3 contrast ratio.
  • iPhone 3G - Added 3G network and assisted GPS. Apple also replaced the metal back with a plastic one to improve antenna reception.
  • iPhone 3GS - Bumped the memory up to 256 MB, increased the processor to 833MHz, used a different video chipset, bumped the camera up to 3 MP with auto focus and added video recording, added Bluetooth 2.1+EDR, and added a digital compass.
  • iPhone 4 - Complete redesign of the body. Bumped the processor to 1GHz (rumored, no formal specs available), doubled the memory to 512 MB, changed the display to a LED backlit IPS LCD with a resolution of 960x640 and a pixel density of 326ppi and a 800:1 contrast ratio, bumped the camera up to 5MP using a better lenses/sensor and 720p video recording, added LED flash, added a noise canceling mic, added a gyroscope, added a front facing VGA camera, support for 2.4GHz 802.11n networking, and a slightly better battery.

For the most part, the iPhone 4 (aside from the reception issues) offers most people exactly what they have been asking for since the original iPhone was released. I personally think it is a great phone, though like anything (except maybe the Old Spice man) it isn't perfict. I use mine more than a desktop system.

Now that I could do... but I sense it would be more trouble than it's worth! lol

Prove me wrong, I look forward to it.

Most people automatically assume that more megapixels mean better quality, and they actually hurt you in some cases. I am a Technical Rep. for a large camera company, so I am not just blowing smoke.

But please, prove me wrong. Get the technical specifications from other competing smartphones and provide details showing what makes them better than the iPhone4's camera. Provide images if need be.

Android is very user friendly, have you ever used it. Though at this point you're accustomed to the iPhone so Android would *appear* difficult just because it would have an unfamiliar way of doing things.

Yes, I have. I have a nook, and have programmed several different things for use on it. You are right, it is quite user-friendly, but that doesn't mean that front-end to the customer is always great. I have found that Apple's OS for their smartphones have always just worked and done things better.

Have you ever used an iPhone? Or programmed using OS3 or OS4?

Yes, I have. I have a nook, and have programmed several different things for use on it. You are right, it is quite user-friendly, but that doesn't mean that front-end to the customer is always great. I have found that Apple's OS for their smartphones have always just worked and done things better.

Have you ever used an iPhone? Or programmed using OS3 or OS4?

Never programmed but yeah my friend has a 3GS, it's a nice phone no denying that. But I gave it back to him once he told me he was doing an online test for a class, and was on the 47th question out of 48 and then he got a call and the whole test was lost. I immediately lol'd, and was thankful I had a multitasking OS.

And as for your claim for the megapixels not meaning that much anymore, you're right. I've seen video comparisons between the evo's 8.0mp vs ip4's 5.0mp and the Iphone's was definitely better (and the live focusability was pretty nifty too). I have to comment that I've personally experienced this issue in switching from my old Touch Pro to my Hero. My Touch Pro had a 3.2mp camera that took some of the greatest pictures I've ever seen a phone take....whereas my Hero's 5.0mp camera takes the same garbage pictures that 95% of phone cameras end up taking. (My friend's HD2 takes pretty nice pictures though, which is also a 5.0mp. I wonder if it's the same camera or if it has a better lense or light sensor?)

It is mostly to do with the type of sensor and the size of the photosites on the sensor. There are other factors as well, like the size of the sensor, but we are dealer with very very tiny sized sensors in smartphones.

The iPhone4 uses a backlight CMOS sensor, which helps make it much more capable in low-light situations with minimal noise in comparison to what else is out there.

Here is a shot I took the other day with my iPhone4. Unedited right out of the phone:

post-69019-12791368444561_thumb.jpg

post-69019-12791368077655_thumb.jpg

It is mostly to do with the type of sensor and the size of the photosites on the sensor. There are other factors as well, like the size of the sensor, but we are dealer with very very tiny sized sensors in smartphones.

The iPhone4 uses a backlight CMOS sensor, which helps make it much more capable in low-light situations with minimal noise in comparison to what else is out there.

Here is a shot I took the other day with my iPhone4. Unedited right out of the phone:

post-69019-12791368444561_thumb.jpg

post-69019-12791368077655_thumb.jpg

Damn, that camera sure beats my iphone 3G :D

PICTURES!

Good stuff man, what type of sensor does the EVO use?? How many different types are there if you wouldn't mind me askin??

As example of how god awful the hero's camera is here are my demo shots:

IMAG0069.jpg

IMAG0067.jpg

IMAG0066.jpg

and to show you what I mean, here's the same three shots (as close as I could get) with my old Touch Pro:

IMAGE_261.jpg

IMAGE_260.jpg

IMAGE_259.jpg

Good stuff man, what type of sensor does the EVO use?? How many different types are there if you wouldn't mind me askin??

As example of how god awful the hero's camera is here are my demo shots:

IMAG0069.jpg

IMAG0067.jpg

IMAG0066.jpg

and to show you what I mean, here's the same three shots (as close as I could get) with my old Touch Pro:

IMAGE_261.jpg

IMAGE_260.jpg

IMAGE_259.jpg

It's kind of hard to tell because it looks like you had a shaky hand when you took some of those photos which makes them more blurry.

It's kind of hard to tell because it looks like you had a shaky hand when you took some of those photos which makes them more blurry.

yeah, the biggest issue is that the Hero's cam you press the button to take a picture and then it takes three seconds to actually take it and that's why all of them are blurry but you can see the touch pro's shots had alot more detail.

There are many types of sensors but the two main kind of CCD (charged coupled device) and then CMOS (Complementary metal–oxide–semiconductor) ... but have their own benefits. There are a few others but those are the two most popular.

The issue with the above pictures is not necessarily the camera itself, but the shutter speed used and the delay involved. Both are contributing to your "blurry" results. Try holding still longer, that may help.

There are many types of sensors but the two main kind of CCD (charged coupled device) and then CMOS (Complementary metal–oxide–semiconductor) ... but have their own benefits. There are a few others but those are the two most popular.

The issue with the above pictures is not necessarily the camera itself, but the shutter speed used and the delay involved. Both are contributing to your "blurry" results. Try holding still longer, that may help.

Yeah but what would cause that delay issue, it was really a dumb move by HTC. Like the Touch Pro focuses and then immediately takes the picture, the Hero focuses then waits.....then takes the picture.