Which Ram ?

Alex, sounds like you have done a great job building your rig, your hardware is all vary high end. And I'm Shure you want it to last a long time,  your power supply is the most important item, as it provides power to all your expensive hardware. When choosing a power supply, you want to do a load calculation of everything combined in your system

and this would be your minimum size, but it's best to have at least 20% reserve so your not running PSU at 100%. This lets the PSU run cool as it is not maxed out trying to provide power. They sell a link kit which connects two PSU's together, or a licensed electrician can wire them together, so both come on when you push the start button.

A single 1500W PSU will put out 1485W and 174A with 8 +12V rails  running at 100%, Just your four graphics cards combined need 1800W and 168A, Your system and processor will take what it needs first, and what is left over will be put towards your hardware. So linking two 1500's together will give you 2970W and 348A on 16 +12V rails

So by running 3 cards on one PSU and one card plus your system on second you will have plenty of reserve power and both power supply's will run cool. thus your hardware will last longer and perform vary well at extreme levels. Good Luck :cheers:

Braegnok, that info is likely based on the PSU recommended requirements. Just ran his system through a PSU calculator with some creative license toward the upper range of needs and still only hit a need for an 1200 Watt PSU.

I must have some misinformation on the specifications for the Asus Matrix 7970 card, I come up with 450W,  Per card. @ full load running Max settings.

So I would guess with a basic system and the card not under full load you would see about 400W draw at the wall, with a 650W power supply recommended for system running one card. 150W from PCI E Slot + 150W from each 8-pin connector = 450W Per card Per information I have.

Edited by Braegnok

I must have some misinformation on the specifications for the Asus Matrix 7970 card, I come up with 450W and 42A draw,  with a 650W recommended power supply per card.

The specific card might pull more, you could be right but the power difference seems aweful big.

People make a lot over the amp pull on the channels But I can tell you I have never hit an issue with this in any build, basic or advanced. Modern video cards are much better at power needs than the stuff just a couple of generations ago.

I agree, the small form factor cards are a good example, you can now get a SFF 6670 or 7750 and run it with a 175W PSU system. even though the card min power supply recommends 300W, due to case size and power supply configuration it's hard to upgrade PSU with out using a PICO type. But the card will not last vary long being under volted, and the power supply will be stressed trying to keep up with demands.

Edited by Braegnok

Frozen CPU has several adapter kits, they are vary easy to use. Just plug master power supply into one end and slave into the other, It's best to use the exact same power supply when linking them together, and then you will be fine. I have used the Corsair 800D case for many dual 1200W builds, as space is a issue as well as intake, exhaust for PSU.

• Like 1

Alex, To get the exact load spec and power supply recommendation for your rig it is best to fill out the information on the calculator your self, as you know exactly what you have in your system, or if you plan on upgrading later. I use "eXtreme Power supply  Calculator by OuterVision",  

Go to there site, The lite Ver. is free, and fill out the calculator information, run calculator twice, first with 3 cards then with 4 cards, see what they are allowing for each card, generally they use basic reference cards @ 150W, you can do the math and add your Matrix cards required watts. I would use 400W @ full load overclocked to be safe.  post back let me know what you come up with.

Looks like the OCC Review on the power consumption under load was showing 383W

Edited by Braegnok