jdm_freek

so i am trying to oc an g3258 on a gigabyte z97x sli 

ive updated to the newest bios 

anytime i try to change the multiplier even just a lil

it freaks out  

im thinking bad bios flash

all pwer saving options are off 

Edited by jdm_freek

If you're still running stock voltage that may be the issue, not all the G3258 chips are all that great at OCing (remember haswell = silicon lottery to the max) consider that some Haswell chips start to struggle with 400mhz OCs and 38 puts you 600 over stock)  I know one of the G3258s I tried out wasn't stable with a 500mhz OC at stock volts, turns out if you could keep it cool and didn't mind pumping the volts it was happy.  

Long story short, it just might be an OC dud.  From what I've seen nearly every review out there seems to have an above avg sample and most people spouting off numbers about what they can do have never tried one out (I'm up to around 7 now)

Edited by cchalogamer

@ 1.35v i was able to hit 4.7ghz with settings below. My biggest issue was the cpu ring didn't want to go above 40 for the longest time until I tinkered with it for a while. Haswell is a lottery but most people manged 4.5ghz even if its 1.35v. I think you could just get away with 4ghz without really any voltage increase but try cpu 1.2v and ring 1.2v and see if you can do 40/40 and go from there. If you can't do that than either it's a unlucky chip or  a motherboard issue. Does it frezze at stock with Prime95 and Memtest86?

CPU Voltage
1.35v
CPU Frequency
CPU Multiplier
CPU Ring Ratio
45 (4500)
CPU Ring Voltage
1.2v
System Agent Voltage
1.088v / (+ .195)
I/O Analog Voltage
1.016v / (Auto)
I/O Digital Voltage
-------    / (Auto)
BLCK
CPU Temp

im gonna take back the board and get an msi z87 gd65 and a second g3258 just in case

might as well. we use the GD65 for all the reviews. It's a great board. There is a G3258 OC guide coming out here at some point and I used a ASUS Z97M Plus for that. Got it at newegg for under $100 open box.

lmao all this fuss over these pentiums, if you have money for multiple pentiums just get an i5 :lol:

I hate to say it, but the Pentium downright sucks in games unless you get a big OC out of it. I built a computer for someone who just plays ESO and facebooking. Pairded with a GTX 750ti, It was unplayable at 1080p / Max settings untill I OCed it to 4.2ghz. Older games and less cpu intense games will have no problem. The rest needs at lest an i3.