Aliens: Colonial Marines

bp9801

DOOM 3?? (alot of the combat looked like that, which is fine because I loved DOOM 3)

If this is the closest we'll get to a natural selection (anyone else used to play this??) like title, I'm game. It looks pretty good, and should partially satisfy my interest in seeing Natural Selection make a comeback

Edited by IVIYTH0S

• 5 months later...

And yet another Alien game is slammed by critics. When will developers learn?

I can't find a single favorable review even out of the mainstream.  The content is so easy to make a good game IMO.  I don't understand.

I can't find a single favorable review even out of the mainstream.  The content is so easy to make a good game IMO.  I don't understand.

I'll tell you why developers are failing - because they think everyone wants action games. Just look at franchises like RE and Silent Hill - both have been moving away from horror and toward pure action.

The Alien movies were sci-fi horror flicks. Yes, they had action, but it was more about suspense. If developers would design a game from the pure horror perspective (a la the original RE games), they'd be much better experiences and more in line with the movie franchise. Shooting aliens should not be what the games are about, it should be about survival, evasion, etc. Take the gameplay from the early Thief or Splinter Cell games and mix it with the horror from the early RE and SH games and tell me that wouldn't be the ultimate Alien experience!

Same here. I was looking over reviews last night as they were posted and my heart just sank. Very glad I didn't pre-order, like you, but I mean, it isn't hard to make a serviceable Aliens game. Or even a half decent PC port.

I'll tell you why developers are failing - because they think everyone wants action games. Just look at franchises like RE and Silent Hill - both have been moving away from horror and toward pure action.

The Alien movies were sci-fi horror flicks. Yes, they had action, but it was more about suspense. If developers would design a game from the pure horror perspective (a la the original RE games), they'd be much better experiences and more in line with the movie franchise. Shooting aliens should not be what the games are about, it should be about survival, evasion, etc. Take the gameplay from the early Thief or Splinter Cell games and mix it with the horror from the early RE and SH games and tell me that wouldn't be the ultimate Alien experience!

Completely agree. Alien was a pure horror movie. Aliens had some action but it was still mostly a horror film. Colonial Marines seems to be more like "they got Call of Duty in my Aliens!" than anything else. Where's the heart-pounding anxiety of "is my face going to get ripped off in this hallway or the next?"

Shocking ...

I wasn't exactly counting the days to release due to excitement but when I saw it on the shelves I thought it might be a nice change from the usual games I play but the more I researched the game, the more I was disappointed.

Edited by Midnight Rider

Shocking ...

I wasn't exactly counting the days to release due to excitement but when I saw it on the shelves I thought it might be a nice change from the usual games I play but the more I researched the game, the more I was disappointed.

Gameplay seems horrible... the cheapshot to remove all the visuals is just icing on the dung cake.