Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

bp9801

It's not so much a matter of brain power, but rather that existing IP = big bucks...you have an existing fan base plus the potential to add new ones. For new IP, all you have is the latter.

True, but still, there is such a thing as running a franchise into the ground with so many remakes.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, TMNT hasn't done much these past few years.

I'm talking more of other franchises, but TMNT has always had a cartoon/live-action show on nearly every year since the mid 1980s. The three live-action movies in the 90s and the CGI movie from five years back or so.

Michael Bay's version, according to reports, is a reboot of the franchise. So we went from the 1990s films to the 2007 film and now to a reboot. I just view it like with the Superman movies.. we had nothing after the fourth Christopher Reeve film, then Superman Returns in 2006, and now Man of Steel (reboot) coming next year.

Heh, but who the hell in their right mind reboots TMNT? The Star Trek reboot I can understand since the Star Trek universe after The New Generation never really got off the ground, but there's been no continuation of the TMNT cartoon, and the CGI movie was quite a while ago.

My point is, that TMNT is already a franchise that has already run it's course into the ground. I don't think a reboot will give it new life.

I'm talking more of other franchises, but TMNT has always had a cartoon/live-action show on nearly every year since the mid 1980s. The three live-action movies in the 90s and the CGI movie from five years back or so.

Michael Bay's version, according to reports, is a reboot of the franchise. So we went from the 1990s films to the 2007 film and now to a reboot. I just view it like with the Superman movies.. we had nothing after the fourth Christopher Reeve film, then Superman Returns in 2006, and now Man of Steel (reboot) coming next year.

And Superman Returns was a good movie, though not as good as the Batman Begins reboot. I'm holding onto faith that this will be okay until I learn more. I have nothing against Michael Bay. I enjoyed all the Transformers movies, though they were pure adrenaline action movies to me (with awesome CGI) and I didn't care about storylines. TMNT is more story-driven, IMO, especially in the character development aspect, so we'll see.

And Superman Returns was a good movie, though not as good as the Batman Begins reboot. I'm holding onto faith that this will be okay until I learn more. I have nothing against Michael Bay. I enjoyed all the Transformers movies, though they were pure adrenaline action movies to me (with awesome CGI) and I didn't care about storylines. TMNT is more story-driven, IMO, especially in the character development aspect, so we'll see.

Agreed about Superman Returns. I enjoy that movie and think it was done pretty well, although the last 30 minutes or so was a bit unnecessary imo. Yes, not as good as Batman Begins but a good reboot of the Superman franchise. Christoper Reeve's Superman movies already had the origin story, so I don't see why Man of Steel has to reboot the entire thing and (possibly) tell the origin all over again. Batman Begins is a great origin story because the Michael Keaton movies didn't really show any of that other than some flashbacks. But movie studios are like "son of a, see how Batman Begins did?! We need all origin stories like THAT!"

Agreed about Superman Returns. I enjoy that movie and think it was done pretty well, although the last 30 minutes or so was a bit unnecessary imo. Yes, not as good as Batman Begins but a good reboot of the Superman franchise. Christoper Reeve's Superman movies already had the origin story, so I don't see why Man of Steel has to reboot the entire thing and (possibly) tell the origin all over again. Batman Begins is a great origin story because the Michael Keaton movies didn't really show any of that other than some flashbacks. But movie studios are like "son of a, see how Batman Begins did?! We need all origin stories like THAT!"

The thing is though that it isn't just rebooting that comes into play here, it is also the quality of the movie. Batman Begins is a very good movie. Transformers 1 was okay to good. Transformer 2 was a bad movie, technically speaking. Very poor choices were made when making it that just crippled the story to the point of being bad. That's really more of a knock on Bay than the movie though. It can still be enjoyable, but in several ways it is obvious the film had no direction and no real interest in the story.

If the TMNT movie is made at a high quality, like Batman Begins, only the diehard fans will care about the origin story possibly being incorrect, because everyone else will just enjoy watching a good movie.

What, no one liked Wolverine's origins story? :P

Nope. Anything past the first two X-Men films Bryan Singer directed are just eh, but I did hear good things about First Class.

Okay so Michael Bay is associated with this movie. What else do you need to know? He ruins everything he touches. Want special effects and loud noises you got it. Want plot well you are in trouble.