So I have an iPod and I wanted to program

Fragsman

And I'm a programmer so I said. Why don't try make something very simple and try it on my iPod? Well Apple seriously discouraged me to do it.

I order to program for iOS devices you need the XCode which needs to run under a Mac operative system which I don't have and I don't want to buy also).

I just want to program for learning or self-fun, I dunno really.

After you get the Xcode and finally make to program in Objective-C (which I don't know but I know C, Java and others) you need to pay $100 to Apple to put your app in the App-Store.

So what if your app doesn't sell? You lost $100? I'm not sure, they say they pay you monthly. I doubt because if you don't sell what are they paying you for?

The other option is to use Cydia which is unnoficial and you need to jailbreak your iPod in order to test your app in a real device (not just in the simulator).

Well this all was an Idea, just to give a ry. But I'm down already without even start cuz I would have to install a VM and then install iOS and then get Cydia and Jailbreak. Is just too much work for nothing.

I agree apple devices are very robust and have a excellent looking design but they add so many blocks in your way. I wish it was more simple so I could program. Maybe they could have a greater number of Apps that way and they become even more popular.

Why should I pay $100 to apple if I will get 75% of the revenue, they will get 25% so WTF is with the $100????

=(

I am sure that someone has figured out a way to put linux on an ipod. 

Lol, just googled it and look what I found http://ipodlinux.sourceforge.net/index.shtml

Whether or not this is a better solution that just fighting with the stupid apple code is better for you or not, IDK, but at least you have the option. 

My goodness!!!!!!!!!! jaajajajajjajajaja.. well that's an old iPod but i got a 5. Imagine if I put that. It would look simple horrible.

Nah is just that I don't understand how apple works. I was wondering why I have to pay initial 100$ if they are going to get 25% of the revenues.

Plus, if you don't sell or sell let's say 10 "copies" of an app for 99 cents then you are loosing money ^^^^^^^^^^

I mean you can't just program fr fun, but in order to download the ap it must be in the store.

Edited by Fragsman

I am sure that someone has figured out a way to put linux on an ipod. 

Lol, just googled it and look what I found http://ipodlinux.sourceforge.net/index.shtml

Whether or not this is a better solution that just fighting with the stupid apple code is better for you or not, IDK, but at least you have the option. 

OT but loving that picture on the top left

http://ipodlinux.sourceforge.net/images/penquinWithIPodSmall.gif

Brilliant!

Even running Mac OS in VM isn't recommended as there is still a licensing issue. 

If you own OSX then you obviously have a Mac. If your running it as a VM then its obviously not a legal copy.

You could check out DragonFireSDK (http://www.dragonfiresdk.com/). I've never tried it or heard anyone who has tried it, but it was something I was looking at a while back when I was thinking of transitioning from Android development to iPhone as well.

Also, don't forget that Apple also reviews every app before its released, included application updates. Which means after you release an update, I've heard it can take weeks before its actually live in the store.

Developing for Windows phone has very similar costs ($100 a year, and a percentage of sales).

Android is a $25 one time fee for your developer account, but you still need to pay a percentage of sales. All the SDK tools and Virtual Devices are free. Updates are instant and are not reviewed by Google unless your app is reported.

Edited by Badams66

tedmorrow82,

I dont know for sure as I dont have an apple developer account. My guess would be that if it was rejected, Apple would inform you WHY it was rejected and it would just be a matter of fixing the issue.

However, Apple always has dollar signs in their eyes so the possibility that they might grab your money and run is possible...