New CPU/MoBo, Windows won't launch

StumpFuMaster

So, I replaced my cpu/mobo last night, booted up, checked bios settings and everything looked good, then the Windows splash screen pops up for 7-10 sec and the machine reboots.

Previous cpu/mobo was AMD Athlon II x3 & Biostar A780L3G

New cpu/mobo is AMD Athlon x4 760k & GIGABYTE GA-F2A88X-UP4

Windows start up repair doesn't find anything, couldn't get it to boot in safe mode either.

Any thoughts besides a fresh install? My internet is slow as hell and re-downloading all my steam games would be a b!tch...

Worst case scenario you can backup the steam folder from that drive somewhere else and move it back with no problems once you get Windows figured out as it will play nice with only minor updating.  

With that said those boards are close enough I would have expected no issues making that jump (though gonig back and looking at AMD's site maybe not with the driver DL links), try changing the new board to AHCI then booting just to see what happens (or even RAID after that) :) Occasionally that will work if windows happens to pick the right driver for the alternate mode.  Double check that the board didn't set some crazy multiplier on the CPU or anything else for that matter.

Could reset all board settings back to defaults through BIOS just to see, I've certainly seen some strange stuff happen before in builds that that has fixed.  

My brain isn't working 100% atm so I may have forgot something useful :lol:

Its working now!

No overclocks yet, just wanted to get it up and running. 

I had to reset the BIOS because the SATA controller kept kicking back to AHCI on its own. After the reset, it held the Native IDE setting and booted like normal.

2.7 million updates later, everything seems to be g2g minus the USB3.0 controller not installing properly.

As a side note, I tried a small OC: 4.0, and it locked up after the BIOS splash screen. Is it possible that my memory could cause that issue? Here is the info:

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?app=gallery&image=2567

Did you OC using the multiplier or the FSB? Generally it's far more stable to bump the multiplier a few notches and ignore memory/board overclocking as much as possible.