Registry Hack for Continued Windows XP Updates

wevsspot

The last 2 will work just fine.

I would encourage anyone running XP to upgrade though...

Some of us are employed in the private sector and don't have as much discretionary income   :)

A copy of Windows would be the least expensive part of any build outside of cooling.

On a budget build windows would be the most costly piece.

Windows costs less than $100. Even budget build components are generally $100+

You can get a cpu for $50, mb $50, ram $40, hd $50 case $40 and cheaper than that if you get sales, so the os is double the price of individual parts. That's why so many people are going to Linux. I said budget build not gaming build.

The last 2 will work just fine.

I would encourage anyone running XP to upgrade though...

Some of us are employed in the private sector and don't have as much discretionary income   :)

A copy of Windows would be the least expensive part of any build outside of cooling.

On a budget build windows would be the most costly piece.

Windows costs less than $100. Even budget build components are generally $100+

You can get a cpu for $50, mb $50, ram $40, hd $50 case $40 and cheaper than that if you get sales, so the os is double the price of individual parts. That's why so many people are going to Linux. I said budget build not gaming build.

Then go Linux :P (or maybe get one of those cheap win8 keys)

$20 for this one LOL (I mean there's very little risk, Ebay AND Microsoft'd have your back)

Where in my post did I say I would want Linux, the post I replied to was the cost of windows , which is no way cheaper than most budget pc components. I use w7 64 bit . However if Linux was more game compatible I probably would make the change. :D

Where in my post did I say I would want Linux, the post I replied to was the cost of windows , which is no way cheaper than most budget pc components. I use w7 64 bit . However if Linux was more game compatible I probably would make the change. :D

Yeah I'm just saying if money was THAT tight that one could afford the cheap Win8 keys that can be found, just go Linux. You'd be able to do almost all that you'd *NEED* to do.

Or you could "sail the seven seas" :rolleyes:

The whole point of my original post was an attempt to "help" those who might not have the resources (or an otherwise compelling reason) not to upgrade just yet.  There isn't any question that an upgrade to W7 or W8 or W8.1 is the best solution.  But I've offered up a nuclear option for those that would at least like "some" updates.

Beyond the cost factor is the "setup" factor involved with some rigs.  For the most part I can buy whatever I want, whenever I want - but time is a commodity that I'm always short on.

The real question is who really wants to use Windows 8? its so damn ugly & annoying...

Have you actually used it with something like Classic Shell, I've seen nothing but an improved Win7 so far. The only problem I've come across so far is GTA4 won't install (which seems to happen to some people and not others) and I blame Rockstar for this, their installer won't allow the game to install because it doesn't recognize the OS. Nothing else has had any issues

The whole point of my original post was an attempt to "help" those who might not have the resources (or an otherwise compelling reason) not to upgrade just yet.  There isn't any question that an upgrade to W7 or W8 or W8.1 is the best solution.  But I've offered up a nuclear option for those that would at least like "some" updates.

Beyond the cost factor is the "setup" factor involved with some rigs.  For the most part I can buy whatever I want, whenever I want - but time is a commodity that I'm always short on.

It's appreciated, don't get us wrong!

I'll go on the record and state that IMHO Windows 7 is the best OS that Microsoft has released to date once you get past the stupid decision to break it up into way too many derivatives.  I played with W8 for a while last year and decided it wasn't for me (from a productivity standpoint).  But since the 8.1 update was released I figured I'd give it a go on my HTPC and all I can say is that I'm pleasantly surprised.  It's not perfect and has some quirks that will take getting used to but for the most part it feels like a pretty well refined product.  

Fortunately I had prepaid for the Media Center expansion and my key still worked even after a year of deep sleep.  While I normally use other media players, it was nice to have the MS option if I wanted to use Media Center.  Most surprising was the driver store included with W8 Pro.  My HTPC has an older Gigabyte mATX socket 775 board and is running a paltry E6300.  After installing W8/Win8.1 updated there was only one device that didn't have a default MS driver and that wa an old Asus TV tuner card.

As luck would have it the card was so old that Asus never released a W8 certified driver for it.  I figured what the heck, might as well try my archived W7 driver.  Guess what?.....  Driver installed without issue and my TV Tuner card works too.