Need a router recommendation

Queenz

I will continue the Linksys trend and say the E3000 for $79.99 at the Egg. You can even save some coin going Recertified for $49.99, prob the best deal you can get on a router this good!

I love my E3000 and haven't had any problems with it!

I'm a big fan of the WRT54 line-up....how does the E3000 compare to that?

I currently have an ASUS WL500W, which has been working great for awhile now, but the past few days, the connection has been going down. I have someone from Cablevision coming tomorrow, but I'm suspecting it's a router issue because no computer, tablet, or phone will be able to reach any website, yet Steam remains connected (and I can still chat and even play an online game like Dota 2). All I need to do is go to the admin page for the router, and click "disconnect" on the "WAN Interface" and then "connect" and everything comes back online, or sometimes it just seems to revive itself.

So I'm thinking I should get ready to order a new router :(. I'm tempted to just get the WRT54GL because I question whether I really need "n". Yes, I use my iPhone and iPad on the WiFi and occasionally my laptop, but I don't do anything too intensive on wireless.

EDIT: BTW, I should state that my WL500W is supported by DD-WRT, but I don't use it.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clay...AFAIK, the e series is the flagship residential router lineup from Linksys. I had a WRT110 before upgrading to the e3000, the reason I upgraded was I was losing signal at the far end of my house. I can say with the e3000 dual band router, I no longer have any coverage issues in or even around my house :) I had a WRT54 series G router before the WRT110 and I was very happy with it. But it's 2012 and IMHO any new wireless device you will purchase or have recently purchased supports N, so why wouldn't you get a router to accommodate that ;)

I haven't even seen a router to buy here....

HUH?

Optimum came and gave me a new modem this morning....get home from the movie theater this evening and connection was down....FUUUUUUUUUU

So went ahead and ordered the e3000 from newegg (new, not refurb). Hope it's good. Most cons were listing the heat it generates....we have it dangling, not sitting on a surface, so hopefully it gets enough airflow.

Hope newegg has it in stock at the NJ warehouse so I get it by Thursday.

EDIT: Oops, meant Optimum gave me a new modem, not router.

Dangling will be fine! It does get hot on a flat surface, which is how I had it at first. Now, I have it mounted vertically with about a 1/2" between the board and the back of the router and it does just fine. You are def going to be happy with this router though, not sure if increasing the range is even something you need, but it is very noticeable :thumbsup:

Dangling will be fine! It does get hot on a flat surface, which is how I had it at first. Now, I have it mounted vertically with about a 1/2" between the board and the back of the router and it does just fine. You are def going to be happy with this router though, not sure if increasing the range is even something you need, but it is very noticeable :thumbsup:

During the summer, sometimes I'd go out in the back with my iPad and the wifi was a little spotty, so if it's a little bit stronger, that would be nice, but it wasn't so much the router's fault as it was that my house has a concrete base and even cell signals are tough. lol. I definitely care more about the wired performance though.

I have kinda given up on linksys, have used them since 03 and replaced several between mine my dads and the office. Bought a netgear this last time WNDR3700 ver 2.... So far so good and it can be flashed also from what I read...

I have kinda given up on linksys, have used them since 03 and replaced several between mine my dads and the office. Bought a netgear this last time WNDR3700 ver 2.... So far so good and it can be flashed also from what I read...

Luck also come into play every-time anyone buy any electronic gadget. ;)

Well if you've been using a brand for nearly ten years, you're going to have some replacements, no matter how good it is.

Anywho, the E3000 seemed to do the trick. 24+hours of uptime, so seems all is good now. phew :)