ASUS HD 6970 Review

bp9801

What kind of performance numbers do you want to see? There's some numbers in merc's duel thread.

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=184196&view=findpost&p=1920466 - thats the link to the post he made in my duel thread. Its only got heaven and Cinebench on it.

While those are nice, I'm looking for some gameplay numbers. Benchmarks have never held my attention, I'm more for real-world performance in games. So Cap, what games do you got?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a good bit of games, I know there's a few that's not listed:

Aliens vs. Predator

Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Assassin's Creed

Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood

Dead Space

Dirt 2

Far Cry 2

League of Legends

Left 4 Dead 2

Mafia II - Demo

Magicka

Metro 2033

Sid Meier's Civilization V

Singularity

StarCraft II

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas 2

Total War: Shogun 2

Aliens vs Predator, Metro 2033, Civ V, Shogun 2, and.... Mafia II demo all sound good. Maybe do a run at the stock frequencies and another at the highest stable overclock?

If you can, a resolution of 1920x1200 would be preferred but if not then 1920x1080 works. Game settings I'd probably say the max, as much AA and AF as it can handle, etc. Best way to measure the FPS would be Fraps.

For Metro, it'd be interesting to see the difference between the various levels that game has. Like the graphical settings and all that, see what the difference is with a higher graphic setting compared to one of the lower ones.

If you can, a resolution of 1920x1200 would be preferred but if not then 1920x1080 works. Game settings I'd probably say the max, as much AA and AF as it can handle, etc. Best way to measure the FPS would be Fraps.

For Metro, it'd be interesting to see the difference between the various levels that game has. Like the graphical settings and all that, see what the difference is with a higher graphic setting compared to one of the lower ones.

Metro gets very angry at my GTX570 when on Very high. About half the game was playable with Very high settings, but the 2nd half of the game, has too many outside areas and too many monsters in areas and it would lag pretty good. I ended up being able to do high with 4x AA and 16X AF though. So id be curious to see how a single 6970 holds up on high/very high in Metro 2033 myself.

I think Metro gets angry at every card Merc ;) It is just an extremely demanding game. But, i would assume that the 570 with PhysX would be better off than a 6970! I haven't played it in awhile, but now you actually have me curious how (2) 6970's in xFire would perform. Might install it again just to see!

Also Capi, 1030 on the core NICE :thumbsup: Does that 1030/1502 run stable in 3dMark11? When I was running the single card 1029 was the highest I could get, even that bump of 1mhz would result in 3dMark11 crashing. Also, you still have that 6970 on air right? Is it going under water?

I've run Metro 2033 with my two GTX 570's in SLI at the highest settings highest AA and AF with no issues. You just need a 2nd card, Merc! :P

I haven't run any other benchmarks on it than Unigine and Cinebench, but I'll run a couple more benches over the next few days. I think it can even go higher than 1030MHz, but I'm not sure if I want to put more than 1.275V's on it. It's on a full cover waterblock, and my VRM temperatures never seem to go past 38C, though I'm not sure how accurate that is.

I've run Metro 2033 with my two GTX 570's in SLI at the highest settings highest AA and AF with no issues. You just need a 2nd card, Merc! :P

I haven't run any other benchmarks on it than Unigine and Cinebench, but I'll run a couple more benches over the next few days. I think it can even go higher than 1030MHz, but I'm not sure if I want to put more than 1.275V's on it. It's on a full cover waterblock.

Damn Capi, now I really want to water cool my 6970's! I hit the 1029/1540 on air, would love to see what that card would do with some lower temps. But, sadly that project is on hold, unitl I get my new house closed, and the flooring projects that are all more important than water cooling my gpu's according to the gf :rolleyes: I just don't understand why they don't care about the importance of lowered temps with water :rofl:

Damn Capi, now I really want to water cool my 6970's! I hit the 1029/1540 on air, would love to see what that card would do with some lower temps. But, sadly that project is on hold, unitl I get my new house closed, and the flooring projects that are all more important than water cooling my gpu's according to the gf :rolleyes: I just don't understand why they don't care about the importance of lowered temps with water :rofl:

:dunno: lol

Some actual gameplay FPS using FRAPS. Everything was playable, though Metro 2033 wasn't as smooth as playing with two GTX 570's in SLI. :P

I needed to increase voltages for stability or lower the Core Clock:

Metro 2033 at 1030/6008: (Note: Stable at 1.275V's)

1920 x 1200

Very High

DX 11

MSAA 4X

AF 16X

Entire Prologue

FPS Min/Max/Avg

16 / 62 / 27.066

Aliens vs Predator at 1030/6008: (Note: Crashed at 1.275V, was stable with voltage at 1.295V)

DX11

Very High

1920 x 1200

High

AF 16X

V-Sync Off

First Marine Level for 5 minutes

FPS Min/Max/Avg

79 / 192 / 131.304

Sid Meier's Civilization V at 1030/6008: (Note: Crashed at 1.275V, was stable with voltage at 1.295V)

DX 11

1920 x 1200

MSAA 8X

All High

High Detail Strategic View On

VSync Off

New Game first 3 minutes after loading

FPS Min/Max/Avg

34 / 146 / 128.941

Total War: Shogun 2 at 1025/6008: (Note: Crashed at 1.275V and even 1.300V at 1030/6008. It was stable at 1025/6008 at 1.300V's with some blips, so 1020MHz would probably be the most stable overclock.)

DX 11

1920 x 1200

Very High Quality preset

New Campaign complete battlefield fight

FPS Min/Max/Avg

0 / 190 / 69.669 (0 Min FPS was due to loading screen capture)