Help is kids gaming rig

nemo74

El I am gonna have to disagree with some of what you have put here. The determination of CPU or GPU is really dependent on the type of game to be played. RPGs, MMOs and RTS games all benefit more from a CPU than FPS games do. These are also the games most likely to push multi-cores more in the future and the most modded thus often needing more RAM than other games.

Now I will not disagree about getting the best video card you can afford but the CPU does play a factor.

As for which CPU, right now it is hard to suggest an AMD based system. Intels i3 can run right with the Phenom II and the FX 4100 and as you get close to $200 the i5 holds a solid lead over anything AMD has.

Well, there's only two real choices these days with cost savings (if you're buying new). AMD APU's aren't bad, but SB i3's and i5's are at a great price-point for the performance.

This is a great article with Intel CPU Scaling with the HD 7950.

Yes, CPU + MB's used to be really important (the amount of cores/threads and PCIE slots and SLI/Crossfire support), but with SB, the architecture has really changed things around. Single cards are all you really need at 1080P or lower resolutions.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is what I came up with.

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146077 Has USB 3.0 which is always nice :biggrin: 60 bucks after shipping

PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028 It has the corsair name and it is 70 bucks minus 10 bucks if you purchase it by the 9th and it has a 20 dollar mail in rebate for a total of 40 bucks. :biggrin:

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231546 good ram clocked at 1600 MHZ. It is basic ram for 44 bucks.

Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157279. It is Z68 and a pretty nice looking board. However, I think the one Computer Ed pointed out is pretty good as well. So you have a choice between spending 105 bucks and 90 bucks.

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115077 It is a bit faster than a normal i3 2100 and because it has a 15 dollar off sale, it is also cheaper than the normal i3. If you order before the 9th it is 113 bucks.

SSD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226236 Unless your daughter is a data pack rat, this is about the only thing she would need. Not to mention that with a price of 125 bucks, how can you say no?

Video Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125419 :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin:

Now all of this without sales and no rebates is 783. You can get a Optical disk drive for another 20 after you apply all the sales. This should keep your daughter QUITE content. :cheers::thumbsup:

+1

i5 - has 4 cores and runs 4 threads and has turbo boost

i3 - has 4 cores but also runs 4 threads ; doesn't have turbo -boost but you don't need it for games really. I also recommend the i3.

Games don't use more than 4 gigs of ram even with mods.

With the money you save off cpu ram and PSU you can get her this 560 Ti:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121570

Or this 6870:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161389

The most important thing in games is the video card.

i3 has 2 physical cores plus 2 virtual cores due to hyper threading.

+1 for i3

Here's my suggestion:

ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3 - $104.99 (Z68 Chipset fir ISRT and Gen3 PCI-E for 7850)

Intel Core i3 2100 - $124.99

Mushkin Blackline 8GB Kit - $44.99 (Good RAM and matching colour scheme)

Antec EarthWatts Green EA650 - $59.99 (80+ Bronze, Quiet, 650W and only for $49.99 after MIR)

Sapphire HD7850 - $249.99 (Free Dirt3)

NZXT Source 210 Elite - $49.99 (Hard to beat the value and aesthetics of this case)

Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 60G SSD - $89.99 (SSD Cache)

Western Digital 500GB Caviar Blue - $84.99

Total: $809

You could leave the SSD for future updates..

i said 4 threads not 4 cores.

Nope you didn't :)

+1

i5 - has 4 cores and runs 4 threads and has turbo boost

i3 - has 4 cores but also runs 4 threads ; doesn't have turbo -boost but you don't need it for games really. I also recommend the i3.

Yes, CPU + MB's used to be really important (the amount of cores/threads and PCIE slots and SLI/Crossfire support), but with SB, the architecture has really changed things around. Single cards are all you really need at 1080P or lower resolutions.

Firs the motherboards in my opinion have less importance than people give them. I used to know people that would shun the 770 and 870 motherboards claiming they offered slower performance with high end CPUs from AMD. That was FALSE. The same CPU on a high end or lower end board all perform the same at stock speeds. Higher end boards might offer better over clocking or more video card slots but they do not directly effect performance in an apple to apple comparison.

Now I will admit that SB has come a long way at leveling the playing field with the CPU and I fully agree that at 1080 there is NO need for a multi-card setup. Often as low as $100 video cards can give a decent gaming experience at 1080 and at $250 you get a great experience, anything past that price point the gaming experience in crease is minor at best.

In the i3 vs i5 decision the real factor is cost. If you need to cut the cost then the i3 is a serviceable chip that gets the job done. The sweet spot seems to be the i5 2400, a chip that gets no respect. At stock speeds ti matches the i5 2500 pretty much across the board in gaming experience. As for overclocking, it may not go as far but 3.9GHz with no tweaking is nothing to sneeze at and is really all the CPU performance most people will put to use currently. The i7 is a solid chip but there is no real advantage in gaming with it over the i5. (BTW if you have a Microcenter close then og there to buy your chip)

BTW right now it looks like TigerDirect.com has better CPU pricing but it is because of rebates. Speaking of Tiger Direct, check out a few of their barebone kits, some of those deal give you a solid base to work from.

woops ... my bad :pfp:

Hahaha. You are fine. When I read that I was prepared to buy 8 of them thinking it was going to be a new thing with ivy bridge. Then I googled it. Then the rest of my day went down hill :rofl::P

The determination of CPU or GPU is really dependent on the type of game to be played. RPGs, MMOs and RTS games all benefit more from a CPU than FPS games do. These are also the games most likely to push multi-cores more in the future and the most modded thus often needing more RAM than other games.

Now I will not disagree about getting the best video card you can afford but the CPU does play a factor.

:withstupid:

MMOs are definitely notorious for being CPU hungry ...some barely even use the graphics card. RTS games to lesser degree... until there are a large amount of units on the playing field. In addition to an MMO the OP also mentioned D3 ...that too I could see being a CPU hog when there are multiple people and multiple things lying on the ground. So far D3 Beta is taxing my CPU harder than any other program I've used ...including benchmarks.

I would definitely get i5 2400 if funds allow ...and a better video card than a 550 if possible. There are some good builds in this thread. Just tweak out the SSD most of them have to get the cost advantage. The SSD can always be purchased later when funds magically pop up. I wouldn't have trusted myself as a kid to manage data on a HDD ...jus' sayin'. :P

Hello everyone and THANK YOU so much for all your help! I have crunched some numbers and did tons of reading and I think below is my newest build idea....I'm kind of jealeous of this vs my rig :)

Cases - COOLER MASTER Storm Scout $69.99 OR I may get a nice deal on an Antec 1100 $20+Shipping

graphics - SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7850 $249.99

PSU - PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W $99.99

Ram - G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB DDR3 1600 $44.99

Mobo - ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 $104.99

CPU - i5-2500 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz $209.99

OS - Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM $139.99

HD - Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 120GB SATA III (SSD) $124.99

dvd - ASUS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner OEM $19.99

Total with shipping = $1,070.94 And I'll get $20 rebate. This is a few hundred more than I wanted to spend, but my daughter does great in school even while gaming so why not spend a little more for a rig that will last her years :thumbsup:

If no one has any better things to swap out to save money I'll prob get this over this today or over the weekend! :woo:

Edited by nemo74

Well, if you're not getting the K sku, I'd say better get the 2400 :)

Also, I'd recommend you to get the NZXT Source 210 Elite + 120mm case fans. This should help you save some money since you're saving $20 on the case and you'd still have to fill the storm scout with fans anyways. You can get a great fan with high airflow 120mm like the Cougar Vortex for $16.99 or get some Coolermaster 120mm fans for $8

Other then that, you're set and ready to have a long weekend :P