ClayMeow

Article

Summary of THQ Auction Results:

? Sega agreed to purchase Relic
? Koch Media* agreed to purchase Volition and Metro
? Crytek agreed to purchase Homefront
? Take 2 agreed purchase Evolve
? Ubisoft agreed to purchase Montreal and South Park

Vigil (Darksiders franchise) has not been sold (yet).

*Koch Media is the parent company of Deep Silver (Dead Island franchise).

I doubt Last Light will be affected much if any, simply because it should be so close to complete that any changes would probably cost more than continuing the current plans. As far as Vigil and Darksiders go though, that's harder to guess at. Still possible someone will buy the company and/or the franchise, but unless the company is bought, the developers will be out of jobs. Of course, having a AAA background will be good for them finding new jobs, and who knows, maybe some will go independent. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a crowd-funding campaign start to buy Vigil and Darksiders just to let them go indie and keep working.

I doubt Last Light will be affected much if any, simply because it should be so close to complete that any changes would probably cost more than continuing the current plans. As far as Vigil and Darksiders go though, that's harder to guess at. Still possible someone will buy the company and/or the franchise, but unless the company is bought, the developers will be out of jobs. Of course, having a AAA background will be good for them finding new jobs, and who knows, maybe some will go independent. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a crowd-funding campaign start to buy Vigil and Darksiders just to let them go indie and keep working.

My only guess is that the asking price for Vigil was too high because I can't imagine nobody was interested in the Darksiders franchise (plus they were reportedly working on a new game codenamed Crawler, but no idea if that was a new IP or Darksiders 3). Either way, there's no mention anywhere that there were minimum bids for each division/title, but I have to imagine there were.

I just had a funny idea. I wonder if this auction process may enable the return of the Red Faction franchise? Not sure where the rights would be but wasn't that Volition-developed? At least Guerrila and Armageddon, I think.

Yes, Volition is Saints Row and Red Faction franchises. The question is whether the IP rights for RF were included in the sale though....no indication just yet.

I'm glad that someone snatched up South Park, that game looked really fun.

Agreed!!

I just had a funny idea. I wonder if this auction process may enable the return of the Red Faction franchise? Not sure where the rights would be but wasn't that Volition-developed? At least Guerrila and Armageddon, I think.

So it seems like the IP rights for Red Faction was NOT included in the sale of Volition:

What happens to THQ's back catalog

So we get Sega making Company of Heroes? This could be bad....

The game is fairly far into development, so it's likely they'll have very little impact if any at all. Besides, as of now, all the current dev teams for the acquired studios are along for the deal as long as they sign new contracts. So while Sega may now own the rights to CoH, it's quite possible that no non-Relic Sega employee will be involved with the game, aside from publishing/marketing.

So we get Sega making Company of Heroes? This could be bad....

The game is fairly far into development, so it's likely they'll have very little impact if any at all. Besides, as of now, all the current dev teams for the acquired studios are along for the deal as long as they sign new contracts. So while Sega may now own the rights to CoH, it's quite possible that no non-Relic Sega employee will be involved with the game, aside from publishing/marketing.

I just hope nothing gets screwed up for future Dawn of War games.