New system for rendering/storage

spikespiegel

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More than likely will haven't looked at what mono you have. However there is a low profile version ofthat exact ram.

MoBo, with a B :tongue:

@OP: those tall heatsink on the vengeance would definitely cause problems. Like Stoner said, there are Low Profile version of those vengeance RAMs but I can't find them in newegg. The next best thing I found was this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231508

Here's a list of compatible RAMs with the D14: http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=compatibility_ram_gen&products_id=34&lng=en

:cheers:

Phone with an autocorrect.....

it wouldn't make much difference . If you go up in speed you losen the timmigs , lower the speed its tighter . For 1600 9-9-9 is good for 8gb sticks. Maybe you could manually get them down to 8.

System ordered! Get to put it together 26th onwards when i'm back in the country.. Will post back with details. Decided to stay with the OCZ ram as I like it better.. I decided to just go with the stock heatsink the cpu comes with... If anyone has any heatsink recommendations that would fit my mobo/ram and do a phenomenal job cooling, i'm all ears!

Thanks

lame, OCZ doesn't list anything on it's website and the ASUS website has a list http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_2011/SABERTOOTH_X79/#MSL that is kinda outdated since it only lists up to 16gb. My guess it is since it's from Corsair and it already a 64gb kit that you wont have any issues. You are also running at 1600 and not some crazy speeds. Like always just run Memtest86 on your ram to make sure its 100% stable at 1600 before you start to overclock the system.

Edited by hornybluecow

Thanks for the pointer. Will do. Question about heatsink, i've just learned about closed loop water cooling solutions, wow, i've been behind.. What would you all recommend for a CL water based solution for this setup? i'm looking at the Corsair h100i system ..feedback?

Closed loop solutions have come a long way in the last year in both price and performance.  The Corsair H100i is a popular choice, gets good reviews, maintenance free and good performance.  I'd say go for it.

Ok question for you guys.. I have the HAF X case from coolermaster. And i've decided on the h110 from corsair. 

1) Does the radiator /fans fit on the top part of the case

2) does this setup replace the existing 2 fans on top, that comes with the case?

Silly questions, I know, but i've been out of the game for a while... Thanks guys

1. Yes it does. IIRC it'll use the 140mm fan mounts on top.

2. Not sure, but likely yes. There's a video in youtube showing how to mount a H100 below those 2x200mm fans, not sure if it'll work on the H100i. Won't really affect CPU temps IMO whether or not you decide to use the 140s + 200s or just the 140s. A radiator would need a fan that pushes more static pressure while a case fan usually pushes more airflow and less static pressure.

:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, well the system is built - it was a really hassle free installation, all the hardware played nicely with each other, no DOA, no RMA headaches, it all just worked flawlessly! Its been about 3-4 years since i've built a machine, and nice to see that I haven't lost the skills !

What a machine! It tears through renders! What used to take 18 hours + now only takes 4-5 hours, thats a huge increase in efficiency. The final list of hardware was: 

-Intel 3970 EE proccy

-64GB DDR1600 Corsair vengeance (awesome ram btw)

-480GB OS drive

-5tb in Raid 0 config (scratch drive)

-1x Nvidia GTX680 

-Coolermaster HAF X (best case i've ever owned, period)

-Corsair H110 water cooled (really awesome heatsink, requires a good bit of case space. Still debating whether i should use AS5 or go with the stock goop they have pre installed on the heatsink)

-Seasonic 1050Watt psu. Thanks to the forums recommendation, went with this. Wow, what an amazing product!

The machine is so damn fast, that during rendering, its not even reaching 50% load... the hard drive peripherals are now the bottle neck, i've felt no need to overclock it because of this. Itd' be pointless! I guess raided SSD's would increase the performance the most for reducing render times..

Edited by spikespiegel