Korean 27" 2560x1440 monitors -

Waco

I got mine for $320 shipped (and it came in 2 days) with a pixel-perfect guarantee (no dead pixels) and a 1 year warranty.

input along with a 3.5mm headphone jack. There's no on-screen display, no color adjustment, no nothing -- just a backlight control and a sound control (which is exactly what I wanted).

This specific one is an X-Star model. It has a Samsung PLS panel and it's freakin' beautiful even compared to BluePanda's new HP IPS displays.

Post up a seller link  :)

I think they have a glossy model of the X-Star too don't they?  I'm not much on matte or anti-glare.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The headphone jack was likely part of the casing and more work to not put it in than to leave it.

I got my 1440 from overlordcomputer.com from their original pre-order that had the pixel perfect offering. After months of use, I'd never notice a couple of dead pixels (although stuck/white are more annoying). The pixels are so small that to notice it, I'd have to maintain a perfectly clean monitor which just doesn't happen between me and three dogs and an asshole cat.

The reason I went with overlord was for the 120Hz overclock, and if there are any adventureus types they do offer overclockable monitor boards which apparently work more consistantly at reaching 120Hz. Single DVI only though last time I checked.

Does overclocking reduce the longevity of the monitor though??

I've wanted one of these for a while, but I feel like I would have to upgrade my GPU to handle gaming at the higher resolution. I'm trying to hold off on upgrading my system until I pay off my student loans.

The headphone jack was likely part of the casing and more work to not put it in than to leave it.

I got my 1440 from overlordcomputer.com from their original pre-order that had the pixel perfect offering. After months of use, I'd never notice a couple of dead pixels (although stuck/white are more annoying). The pixels are so small that to notice it, I'd have to maintain a perfectly clean monitor which just doesn't happen between me and three dogs and an asshole cat.

The reason I went with overlord was for the 120Hz overclock, and if there are any adventureus types they do offer overclockable monitor boards which apparently work more consistantly at reaching 120Hz. Single DVI only though last time I checked.

Does overclocking reduce the longevity of the monitor though??

if you cool it properly it would live very long chansub-global-emoticon-ddc6e3a8732cb50f

next year watercooled monitors to keep the temps down!

Yeah, I've placed a desk fan on the back of a CRT before because passive cooling just wasn't enough for it. If I still had it, that'd be fun to watercool for the ridiculous factor.

As for overclocking the monitors, I don't see how it could hurt the panel, and nothing special happens to the backlight. The printed circuit boards may have a shortened lifespan because you're driving them more than their original design. You can overclock your panel right now if you wanted, usually can squeeze out an extra 10-15 Hz. An extra 10Hz up to ~100Hz is typically a noticeable improvement, and you movie nuts can usually hit 72 Hz so you don't have any jitter with 24 frame video :P

As far as I have seen it isn't reaching a point that a significant difference in heat is being produced, which is generally the main factor in deteriorating electronics (more specifically their packaging). Instead the overclocking is limited more along the lines of functional limitations in an unspecified set of components in the PCB that allow the higher frequency signals be processed. This is seen when overclocking there is a common issue of 'coil whine' where the currents in the inductors are switching fast and strong enough to generate an audibly vibration.

Edited by Master Binky

For the brave,

http://overlordcomputer.com/collections/accessories/products/overlord-pcb-set

They've tested it on quite a few brands of 2560*1440 korean monitors and an e-mail to them with your's will get you a response on if they've tested it and if it's compatible. There's also forums there if you're impatient and want to see if someone's reported on that brand.

Most of the X-star and Qnix will OC pretty well anyways. Generally speaking, these screens will OC anywhere from 96hz all the way up to 144hz. Getting the board for ~200 bucks is sort of wasteful and it defeats the purpose of buying a cheap monitor. 

I was one of the brave souls who snatched up one of the Korean S-IPS's as soon as they started popping up on OCN. Went with a PixelPerfect PCBank (supposed to have better colors out of the box) for under 300...I think it was only like $280??? Now the same one is around $400. Best computer hardware deal of my life, the thing has been flawless. Not a single dead pixel, colors are spot on and no backlight bleed. Easily comparable to a 600+ dollar monitor!

Sadly mine doesn't OC, wont even hit 70hz. At this res its not like I can run max settings @ 120fps anyway, but if I find a good deal on a second 7970 then you can bet I get an aftermarket PCB for some OC'ing too.

I'd say the difference between 60 and 100 FPS is the most dramatic, 100-110 is less so, and 110-120 is difficult to notice.

The 120Hz sweet spot I think is more related to it being a multiple of 24 so that movies don't have their frames displayed with inconsistent times.