Korean 27" 2560x1440 monitors -

Waco

They're awesome.

I got mine for $320 shipped (and it came in 2 days) with a pixel-perfect guarantee (no dead pixels) and a 1 year warranty.

It only has a dual-DVI input along with a 3.5mm headphone jack. There's no on-screen display, no color adjustment, no nothing -- just a backlight control and a sound control (which is exactly what I wanted).

Out of the box calibration is excellent and required very little tweaking to get the full black->white range correct. There's very little backlight bleed and no dead pixels. Color calibration is pretty good to my eyes but I don't have a meter.

post-8484-0-32878100-1371428906_thumb.jpg

post-8484-0-82244900-1371428951_thumb.jpg

post-8484-0-96821100-1371429172_thumb.jpg

This specific one is an X-Star model. It has a Samsung PLS panel and it's freakin' beautiful even compared to BluePanda's new HP IPS displays.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Crossover IPS. Don't worry about dead pixels, it isn't worth paying. Mine came with a 5 pixel guarentee, but came with about 12. The seller offered to pay for all the shipping to get me another one, but I opted against it. They ended up giving me a $30 refund as an apology anyway. Backlight bleed is what you really have to worry about (they don't guarentee that since they can't quanitify it) and mine had none. Turns out the pixels are so absurdly small you'll never notice the dead pixels. It took me and a friend in a pitch black room to see the stuck pixels - might have well been dust. I've never seen them in use, only if I'm three inches away searching. So if the dead pixels are dissuading you, don't let them.

12!!! Jeezus. It only takes one to be annoying and with a 5 pixel guarantee I'd expect more than a $30 refund. :P I like Waco's but I wouldn't trade my tri-setup I've got for the price of 3 of em. haha

12 dead pixels??? I would have been mad with more than a few...the extra $30 was totally worth it to guarantee a completely intact panel IMO.

The only thing that's hard to get used to is that I moved from a 42" 1080p screen to a 27" 1440p screen. These pixels are tiny! I feel like I don't need antialiasing any more. :lol:

You might not, AA at the end of the day is a subjective feature so if you do not see jaggies then AA is not going to help much. In fact turning off AA will actually help game play.

I do agree about the pixels, and everything else, the whole screen seems massive.  I find I have to zoom at least one or two levels on websites to read them.

My own experiences with my 1440 display have been that if I use AA at all I limit to 2x and have noticed zero lose in image quality.

I'm still on the fence if I'd want to jump to a nice Korean 27" 2560x1440 or just go for my dream size of 2560x1600 30" (or higher) if/when my HP ever dies.

Glad to know there are still some good eggs out there though.

Waco, I'm guessing you did your research into which models sported which panels so that you would end up with a debranded Samsung PLS ?? (also, does yours support HDCP?)

Edited by IVIYTH0S

The headphone jack was likely part of the casing and more work to not put it in than to leave it.

I got my 1440 from overlordcomputer.com from their original pre-order that had the pixel perfect offering. After months of use, I'd never notice a couple of dead pixels (although stuck/white are more annoying). The pixels are so small that to notice it, I'd have to maintain a perfectly clean monitor which just doesn't happen between me and three dogs and an asshole cat.

The reason I went with overlord was for the 120Hz overclock, and if there are any adventureus types they do offer overclockable monitor boards which apparently work more consistantly at reaching 120Hz. Single DVI only though last time I checked.