What is the best way to apply Prolimatech PK-1?

I have a 960T CPU and an EVO HSF (CDC) and I would like to know what is the recommended way to apply the Prolimatech PK-1 (1gram BTW) on the CPU and HS and also what method do you apply?

Prolimatech's website FAQ recommends to 'please spread out evenly a thin layer of PK-1 onto the whole CPU and to the whole heatsink base bottom.'

Based on their recommendation I assume the following method is appropriate:

To apply; simply heat the tube by running under hot water from the tap. Wipe it dry.

Get the thinnest plastic bag you can find (freezer bags are ideal), and cover your hand.

Apply a rice-grain size of the warm paste to the centre of the CPU heat spreader. Holding the CPU in one hand, GENTLY rub the paste using a circular motion, across the surface with your index finger (through the plastic bag). Just use VERY light pressure and massage it in until the surface is covered completely.

After rubbing for about 15 seconds, the heat from your finger softens the paste and eventually, it leaves behind a nice thin haze on the heat spreader.

Wait one minute and repeated the process to get a slightly thicker coat and then do the same thing to the bottom of the heat sink.

There are other methods I can try like dot, line or x-method.

Guest Black gold saw.

Place the TIM on the CPU's IHS in a line on one end of it. Then grab a old credit card (Or similair) and spread it over the ENTIRE IHS in a thin and consistent layer.

Iv'e always done it this way. And have acheived PHENOMENAL temps.

I'm a advocate of the method where you apply a grain of rice sized amount of it to the middle of the IHS and let the heatsink spread it out when you screw it on.

However, I don't think the application methods really make that much difference as long as you don't get air bubbles caught in between the CPU and heatsink.

I always try to spread it before putting the heatsink on. If the paste I have is really dry (try to spread clay over a surface lol) then I put ~pea-sized dot and let the heatsink do the work.

Innovative cooling did many studies on Tim transfer. The small pea works best on ALL COOLING solutions. Temps are best with small pea. Whoever suggests credit card spread does not know what they are talking about.

the credit card method seemed not for everybody, it depends with the TIMs viscosity; it's how they react during application cause some TIMs do not adhere that good on CPU / HS surfaces when that 'card' method were used.

i tried it with my Tuniq TX-3, tho i do have quite "plastering" skills but the TX-3 laughed on me caused i failed with it lol. pea/rice seems a no go with it either cause it wont spread out that much even under pressured with the HS.

painstakingly i applied it with my fingers as if i were doing a jigsaw puzzle until i got the CPU surface got covered fair enough, done nothing with the HS. success somehow :thumbsup:

you might have a chance doing the card / pea size method with gooey TIMs, but those "clay like" ones (like the TX-3) are not that easy to deal with imo.

and i guess you are already aware with the conductive / non-conductive thing with TIMs. ;)

the credit card method seemed not for everybody, it depends with the TIMs viscosity; it's how they react during application cause some TIMs do not adhere that good on CPU / HS surfaces when that 'card' method were used.

i tried it with my Tuniq TX-3, tho i do have quite "plastering" skills but the TX-3 laughed on me caused i failed with it lol. pea/rice seems a no go with it either cause it wont spread out that much even under pressured with the HS.

painstakingly i applied it with my fingers as if i were doing a jigsaw puzzle until i got the CPU surface got covered fair enough, done nothing with the HS. success somehow :thumbsup:

you might have a chance doing the card / pea size method with gooey TIMs, but those "clay like" ones (like the TX-3) are not that easy to deal with imo.

and i guess you are already aware with the conductive / non-conductive thing with TIMs. ;)

the vescosity makes no difference. Some tims you need more, some less. It is a law of physics on the spread. Liquid collaborady is different

Pea-sized is the best. Credit card method leaves a lot of small air bubbles, it's no longer a good way of applying TIM.

+1

Same thing I usually do. Now that I think about it, the amount I put on probably is closer to a pea-sized than rice-sized amount.

I've been wondering if this is suitable for LGA2011 and their much larger IHS however. I don't have one myself, but I imagine that the TIM application might need rethinking to get good coverage on that platform. :dunno:

Edited by 90sgamer

Who has the link to the video with the tim spread under a piece of glass?

I do

I've always used the pea size method (although it's misleading since a single normal pea is bigger than what we think)

Edited by vandreadstriker