Finally building a gaming rig

ccokeman

After more than a few years of not playing games other than just for reviews I thought it was about high time to finally put together a high end gaming system  to take care of the need to finally kick back and just enjoy the hell out of myself with some games. I could have gone any number of routes with this build but figured that if I am going to invest the time to build it then it should be something that is what I want rather than just good enough to play the latest games.

To start with this is far from a budget build. I know this and could have done just as well with a more cost efficient solution but hey this is my build right! The idea for me was to minimize my costs by using what I had on hand ( I can hear the groans now) and to take those parts along with some water cooling parts I have been stock piling for use on such a project and finally put it together.

Pictures will be few and far between since I had most of it built before I thought to put it in the forums!  It will most likely be the final result and some benchmarks to see what it does but here goes the component list.

I cut my teeth on AMD chips but for this build excess and Intel is what gets the call. The system will be water cooled but only the CPU for now. 

CPU: 4.4Ghz capable Intel Core i7 4960X    Its a dog and just wont do any better so it can be my gaming chip.

Motherboard: What better way to complement the 4860X than one of ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition boards.

Memory: 32GB (8x4GB) of G.Skill 2133Mhz memory to take advantage of a Ramdisk

Video cards: SLI or Crossfire was the option here and both would work but I chose a pair of GTX Titans to take advantage of the 6GB frame buffer

Storage;  OS will be on an OCZ Revodrive 350 while storage will be on a 4GB mechanical disk. Add in an LG DVD rom drive 

Power Supply: Corsair AX1200

Case: Corsair 650D

Water cooling: 

Pump/Block  Apogee Drive II from Swiftech

Reservoir: Bitspower  150mm tube

Fittings: Monsoon standard in Black Chrome

Elbows and 90's from Bitspower

Fluid: Ice Dragon Nanofluid ( Seems like a solid product so I'm giving it a shot) 

Radiators: Phobya Extreme 200 for the front and an  XSPC 240 for the top

Fans,  CM SickleFlow 120mm for the 240 rad and  the corsair case fan for the 200mm rad. 

Current state is that the system is mostly built and leak testing for 24 hours. Excessive? Yes but its better than a leak that cooks the works. Some pics tomorrow! 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why go SLI at the first shot?

Why not? :D

Limiting upgrades in the future, then again, with two titans, i doubt you need upgrading anytime soon xD

SLI problems are there as well, but not everyone experience those.

Why go SLI at the first shot?

Pretty much why not? I have used both single and dual cards from both camps and no single card will run 4K well with decent texture settings.  

I have the option of Crossfire as well with 290X and or a single 295x2.  The main reasons are to be able to play at 4K or use a G-Sync monitor at  a 144Mhz refresh rate running at 2560x1440.

Its pretty much what I wanted to do at this point and not liquid cooling the cards gives me the option of swapping cards down the road without a major hassle. 

I really liked Titans in SLI when I had it. I sold them off before the 900s series because I figured by the time I ever get around to playing in 4k, the video cards would be worthless. That 6gb framebuffer should keep those cards relevent for a few more years. Heck sometimes I game on the Quadro 4800 which is basically a GTX 280 with 1.5gb of vram. Runs most games at 1080p with high textures.

With 2 Titans in sli I think it will be quite a while before you have to upgrade. :)

Unless you want to play games from Ubisoft *cough ASSassins creed unity cough*

Downloading with the rest of the games!  LOL