Best speakers for $50?

Crow47

Personally I used Logitech speakers for every build until this one. Going to higher end speakers and a amp made a world of a difference. See my sig for specs.

How do you like those Polk subs? You have two of them, so that either means you liked them so much you bought a second or one wasn't enough! ;)

I like them, but one of them is failing, it sounds muddy now. I am upgrading soon. But great sub for the price thou!

As for having 2, it did improve the bass by about 30-60%.

Edited by Black64

How about something like this for $32.95? You could probably build it into your PC case and power it from the +12V rail if your power supply is up to the job.

Wow, I respect the DIY-ness of that, but given my current rig, I think that's a little more into it than I want to get. I'd give you +1 for unique-ness of the suggestion, though. Props!

That's what I was going to recommend, grab a pair of cheap used sff bookshelf speakers and a small amp.

They'll blow any el-cheapo' desktop speakers away.

Yeah, I actually just now pulled the trigger on the Dayton's with Leapa amp. With prime shipping they should be here Wednesday. I'll post pictures and impressions if anybody cares.

Please share your thoughts. I've had my Logitech X530s for 6+ years now and I think it's time to retire them. I'm no audiophile, so your opinions matter.

My X-540's are still kicking. :)

I had a 2.1 set from Altec Lansing back in the day and they were above average for the price. You can still find a good new set for less than $50 probably.

I was going to suggest this as well, but OP seems to have found a better solution. 

I just received the speakers and amp! I have them all unboxed now and I am playing a few of my usual tracks. So far, I am extremely happy with this purchase. While the price was just a little higher than what I originally wanted to do, I am so glad I did. 

-The stereo image out of the box is immediate and fairly distinct. Obviously placement has a lot to do with this, but I'm getting way more of an image than I ever did with a 2.1 system. 

-Even with "just" a 20 watt amp, these suckers get LOUD. I live in a townhouse, so I'm gonna have to watch the volume in the future.

-The sound is pretty clean. Just the way I like it too -not too harsh up high, but not boomy down low. The bass is there, but not in huge quantities.

-If this were a primary listening system, I would definitely include a powered subwoofer. Right now, though, it's enough. 

-I would not call these speakers small. I underestimated their size. I'm gonna have to make some room. 

I am going to thoroughly enjoy breaking these in. Remember when I say these got loud? My roommate has the Logitech z506 sound sytem (5.1 for about $75) and I can completely drown his out if I want! 

I also took some pics for all of you, so you can get an idea of what these are like. http://imgur.com/a/zEsJh

Edited by Crow47