Have you had an OCZ SSD fail or have to be RMA'd?

potatochobit

50 members have voted

1. 1. Did you have to RMA an OCZ Vertex2 or Agility2?

• Yes, a 60GB OCZ
    • Yes, a 120GB OCZ
    • Yes, 160GB OCZ or Higher
    • Yes, a Different brand, up to 128GB
    • Yes, a Different brand over 128GB
    • No, all my SSD drives work great! (anybrand)
    • I did not get my rebate from buying an SSD! (anybrand)

Oh yes they do

Said jokingly I'm sure.............

Up until February of this year our company processed all of the MS Zune and xBox returns from Wal-Mart. I can assure you that they did not have a 40-60% return rate based on sales volume. Much much much lower than that, although I'm bound by confidentiality agreements (still) so I can't share the exact number.

On the subject of SSD drives, I've only owned two so far. My first was an OCZ Vertex2 120Gb model that failed a week into service. I figured it was a fluke, but didn't want to take another chance and have to reinstall W7 and all my programs again so I switched to Crucial. But given the opportunity and patience I wouldn't hesitate to give an OCZ SSD drive a go again, especially considering that someone I have a ton of respect for (Praz) vouches for their reliability and performance.

I've known Praz a long time now, and if he says it, it is the truth.

Much much much lower than that, although I'm bound by confidentiality agreements (still) so I can't share the exact number.

IIRC the numbers were closer to 5-10%. High to be sure, but not astronomical.

This be Waco btw. :cheers:

Well, I can officially say yes to this thread now. My Agility 2 died again last night.

Same issue as before. I updated the firmware that was supposed to fix the reliability issues with the drive. Put my computer to sleep to test it, got a BSOD (yes, I made sure there were no Intel RSTv10 drivers installed beforehand). Now even with a cold boot the drive isn't detected by my mobo- doesn't show up in BIOS at all.

I will be sending it back to OCZ for an RMA. Its a real pain in the #%& to have your primary HDD fail on you. I keep my Steam games on an external HDD, but I still lost all my saved games last time I had to reformat my OS drive. Playing through ME 2 won't be such a big deal... but I fear I will lose my current progress on Witcher 2 :( which is about 18 hours of play time so far.

Sidenote: I did get the rebate in a timely fashion ($20 rebate, I opted for the 'express' option and got an $18 card in the mail in ~1 month).

Edited by LuckyDeath

I was going to say that Xbox doesn't have a 40-60% fail rate... i have mine after 2 years nearly :)

Same here, that figure is just hype from the Sony fanboys...not like they have much to talk about these days since they can't even play online LOL

My Xbox Pro has been going strong for 3.5 years now. I do take it apart for cleaning every 3-6 months so maybe that has something to do with the longevity.

I'm honestly more afraid of getting another one with the exact same issue.

I'm going into the SSD scene knowing that they can't be trusted and will image it weekly bearing that mindset. :teehee:

I'm honestly more afraid of getting another one with the exact same issue.

You shouldn't unless you have really bad luck!

Only reason we got so many is we did a bulk order of 25 to begin with so they were most likely from the same batch. If that batch had issues it would explain why like 10 of them failed on us. We got them through Dell (service contracts rule, btw) and they have been fantastic in working with OCZ to get us RMAs as quickly as possible.

• 4 weeks later...

To those that had to go through the OCZ RMA process.. how long did it take for you to receive a replacement from the time you initially sent in a ticket?

I have a 60GB Agility I purchased less than a year ago that started BSOD along with disappearing from the BIOS. This appears to be a common issue judging from the OCZ forums. I would love to hear people's experience with the OCZ RMA process. I have never had to RMA something so I have no clue how it usually goes.

On a side note, It really sucks when your boot drive dies. I have a recent backup but I'm at a loss of what to do with my PC right now. Not having a running PC is pretty inconvenient.. not to mention the Steam sale is going on!

Edited by heero884

To those that had to go through the OCZ RMA process.. how long did it take for you to receive a replacement from the time you initially sent in a ticket?

I have a 60GB Agility I purchased less than a year ago that started BSOD along with disappearing from the BIOS. This appears to be a common issue judging from the OCZ forums. I would love to hear people's experience with the OCZ RMA process. I have never had to RMA something so I have no clue how it usually goes.

On a side note, It really sucks when your boot drive dies. I have a recent backup but I'm at a loss of what to do with my PC right now. Not having a running PC is pretty inconvenient.. not to mention the Steam sale is going on!

I keep an old 500GB drive around as a backup OS drive

I have actually rescued some of my SSD's from the not recognized by the BIOS issue before you just need another hdd with windows on it , and a hdd enclosure. Obviously if you have fried the controller on the ssd this won't work, but essentually you can put the ssd in th eenclosure boot into windows plug the enclosure into the usb port let windows find it. after it does do a quick format on it. Reinstall it into your controller. Use a USB boot drive to boot into Secure Erase tool, and secure erase the drive. Should be all good, until you corrupt the data again.