Seagate Momentus Xt 500Gb Hard Drive Evaluation

Nemo

OCC reviews a new drive from Seagate that incorporates a special algorithm that called ”Adaptive Memory Technology”, which analyzes a user's computing habits, and thus improving hard drive performance. Is this new technology good enough to be a solid state drive killer? Check out the review to find out - http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/seagate_momentus_xt_500gb/

It sounds like an incredible drive. I upgraded my laptop simply from 5400RPM to a 7200RPM drive and difference was noticeable, although I only did it because of drive failure and for more storage. I can't imagine what this would do. I am very glad to hear that the data on the SSD is mirrored on the HDD, it was the first question that popped into my mind when I began reading, but ajmatson covers it well.

Guest ajmatson

Thanks guys, I will keep you guys updated as time goes on and I have more time to play with the drive. Unfortunately there was a delay in receiving the testing units so I had very limited testing time. I was able to test the Alpha drives and it it did over time learn my computing habits. Some were only a second or two but it counted especially for the boot time and game loading times. Seagate defiantly has their hands on something good here and as Sdy said as the technology matures I would like to see how it turns out.

Thanks guys, I will keep you guys updated as time goes on and I have more time to play with the drive. Unfortunately there was a delay in receiving the testing units so I had very limited testing time. I was able to test the Alpha drives and it it did over time learn my computing habits. Some were only a second or two but it counted especially for the boot time and game loading times. Seagate defiantly has their hands on something good here and as Sdy said as the technology matures I would like to see how it turns out.

I would love to throw one in my new i7 based MacBook Pro. I custom configured it with the best GFX engine available and 1680x1050 res screen, as well as a 7200RPM HDD so that I can write code for both Win and Mac based applications on one machine. It runs Win7 Pro x64 in a VM fantastically, but I dual boot and run Windows natively for stuff like Visual Studio Pro 2008 64-bit so that Windows has access to the most possible resources. I figure that a drive like this would greatly improve the performance for a pretty small investment.

Woah! Nice tech.

Alan, do you have a retail date for these? Sounds great for a desktop!

Personally I'd still not use it in a laptop as it is not any more shock-resistant than a normal HDD. Having a running HDD in your backpack when in bike is not a good idea. :(

Guest ajmatson

Woah! Nice tech.

Alan, do you have a retail date for these? Sounds great for a desktop!

Personally I'd still not use it in a laptop as it is not any more shock-resistant than a normal HDD. Having a running HDD in your backpack when in bike is not a good idea. :(

They actually went on sale this morning at TigerDirect and Newegg should have them soon. Right now their going for $129.99

"This allows it to be used on any computer and OS without a decrease in performance or the need for special commands from the OS such as TRIM."

Although, since this is SLC and not MLC, I don't think TRIM would be needed any way.?

FINALLY!! I've been waiting as patient as I could for hybrid harddrives to come out, SSD's have too bad a price/storage ratio for me and this actually has an easier to swallow price (also neat that it's a 2.5" form factor)

FINAYLLY!! I've been waiting as patient as I could for hybrid harddrives to come out, SSD's have too bad a price/storage ratio for me and this actually has an easier to swallow price (also neat that it's a 2.5" form factor)

I actually would like a 3.5" version, with a bigger SSD and HDD. :)