Hi. I have a custom built computer....specs are;

AMD FX-60 processor

2 Seagate 320 gb drives

2 gb PC3200 DDR RAM

Sapphire Radeon X1950 Pro 256 mb video card

Asus A8N 32-SLI-Deluxe motherboard

Creative X-FI XtremeMusic sound card

Windows XP Home

Last night everything was working great. When I went to turn on the computer today, the video card fan stays on fast mode and the motherboard just keeps beeping this sequence of beeps (1 long beep and 2 shorter beeps)

Usually when the computer turns on the video card fans spins up quick for a few seconds but then slows and quiets down. Now the video card fan is just staying on fast mode. Also I am not getting anything on the screen either.

Any idea what is going on or what went wrong? Anybody know what these series of beeps indicate? Thank you in advance!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a videocard issue or RAM issue, try changing PCI-E slots on the videocard and making sure everything is plugged in well. Tell me how it goes. If that doesn't work, do you have some other ram sitting around?

EDIT: Do you, by any chance, use 2 1gb sticks? or do you use 1 2gb stick?

Edited by Jhester

I use two 1gb sticks of memory....both plugged into the blue memory slots on the motherboard. There are 2 blue slots and 2 black slots.

Also I believe there is only 1 pci express port on the motherboard, didn't see anymore.

Also what I found suprising is that there are no onboard video ports with this motherboard, so I couldn't even test it without the video card plugged in. And I don't have any spare PCIE video cards lying around, and all of my friends only have AGP cards.....

I built this system in February/March 2007. The video card has a 2 year manufacturers warranty fortunately....although I'm sure that's a lengthier process than just going out and buying another video card. I wish I had another card to test so I could be really sure before I initiated the RMA process.

Bah!

I use two 1gb sticks of memory....both plugged into the blue memory slots on the motherboard. There are 2 blue slots and 2 black slots.

Also I believe there is only 1 pci express port on the motherboard, didn't see anymore.

Also what I found suprising is that there are no onboard video ports with this motherboard, so I couldn't even test it without the video card plugged in. And I don't have any spare PCIE video cards lying around, and all of my friends only have AGP cards.....

I built this system in February/March 2007. The video card has a 2 year manufacturers warranty fortunately....although I'm sure that's a lengthier process than just going out and buying another video card. I wish I had another card to test so I could be really sure before I initiated the RMA process.

Bah!

Well first try just one stick of memory in only. If it still doesn't boot, try the other stick only.

if that doesn't work, tell me if this is your motherboard:

17514872xc6.jpg

in that case, you should have 2 PCI-Ex16 slots, the other slot that is black (instead of blue) is also one. I used red boxes to show them in the picture.

Edited by Jhester

Oh perhaps, I'm at my mother's home right now...this system is at my father's.....I will be back there to check it out and try a few more tests like you recommended. That picture looks like my motherboard to say the least.

I was reading up online and I read a few stories with the same beep sequence as I am getting and no display....but for those people it wasn't the video card or RAM, as they tried different RAM, different video cards....nothing, and the same beeping and lack of display. So perhaps I may be in for some other issue...

So right now I am kind of doubting that my X1950 is the problem. I can check the power supply voltages, I have a digitial volt meter which I use for automotive tech all of the time....what should the voltage going to the power supply be? 12 volts?

Oh perhaps, I'm at my mother's home right now...this system is at my father's.....I will be back there to check it out and try a few more tests like you recommended. That picture looks like my motherboard to say the least.

I was reading up online and I read a few stories with the same beep sequence as I am getting and no display....but for those people it wasn't the video card or RAM, as they tried different RAM, different video cards....nothing, and the same beeping and lack of display. So perhaps I may be in for some other issue...

So right now I am kind of doubting that my X1950 is the problem. I can check the power supply voltages, I have a digitial volt meter which I use for automotive tech all of the time....what should the voltage going to the power supply be? 12 volts?

I'm not thinking it's the power supply, personally. It's probably motherboard related. Hopefully it's fixable with a Bios update. Right now I'm just trying to get at least the Bios to show. RAM is a decent place to start. If you can get it running with one stick, there may be an updated BIOS that fixes memory errors.

Just a thought. It's an easy thing to attempt, so might as well.

The code you described indicates a Display error.

Google 'BIOS beep codes' if you have not already.

I'd try removing the GFX card, clearing the CMOS for a while, then re-seating the GFX card & give it another go.

Update: I tried each stick of RAM by itself in all 4 of the slots.....no fix. I cleared the CMOS....no fix.

I have not swapped the PCI-E video card to the second PCI-E slot yet, as that would require further dismanteling of the case because the way my harddrives are situated in the bays, the PCI-E video card is too long to fid in the second slot without interfering with the harddrives. However I have removed and reseated the PCI-E video card and that didn't change anything.

Also, for the heck of it, I tried turning it on without ANY RAM installed....still did the same beep sequence (Beeeeep, beep beep) I found that odd considering I though the beep sequence would have changed considering no RAM was present...hm?

Lastly, the power supply is an Ultra X-Connect V-Series (XVS) 700 watt ATX power supply.....20/24pin modular power supply. Just reading off my my shipping invoice. Glad I keep this stuff :)

I did some more troubleshooting this evening...I was in my friend's shop and noticed a nice Compaq computer sitting under a table...I asked him if I could borrow it, he said fine.

Turns out the little beast has a PCI-E port! So I took my PCI-E video card out of my rig and swapped it into the Compaq. Now the Compaq was setup to use the onboard video so the power supply in the Compaq does not have an output for PCI-E power....anyway I turned it on and I got a message on the screen telling me that I need to plug in the video card power. That's totally normal, I know.....but given that the video card was able to send a signal to the monitor was a relief!

Next, I swapped the RAM from the Compaq to my rig and tried to start up.....same beep sequence as before.

THEN I noticed that the case fans in my rig were not spinning at all! I gave them a little whirl and they began to spin. Just very slowly. And we are talking about all the case fans! Now I have my case fans wired up directly to the power supply through and adjustable knob....not to the motherboard. So they should always be receiving full power given I have the knob for the fan controller turned up all the way.

I did a voltage check with my digital gauge and was getting 5.1 volts and 11.96 volts. That sounds close to spec, isn't it somewhere around 5-6volts for the low side and around 12 volts for the high side?

Then it got me wondering if the power supply was putting out the proper amperage. I have no idea how to check the amps that the power supply is putting out so that is all I was able to test tonight.

So I guess the video card is OK and so is the MEMORY....not sure about the motherboard yet but the fans not spinning at full power makes the power supply a suspect now too, I suppose?