What computer gear did you see today that made you look twice?

Decided to start this after seeing some well rather surprising things, things I would like to check out but know I wont.

So whats made you take a second look today?

For me it is first the.

Asrock X79 Extreme 11

At first all was normal it is just another X79 mobo, then I see oh it has 7 pci-e 3.0 x16 slots. Ok thats a lot.

Then I get onto well....

- 10 x SATA3

- 8 x USB3.0

- 24+2phase power

- dual gigabit lan

- 7.1 HD surround sound and onboard headphone amp

So yeah every little bit made me look further and I am like cool this would make an awesome obo and I am about to go and then WHOA! WTH! $740 my god.

It really better be worth it to those who buy it.

However then came the next thing and that was the

Gigabyte Radeon HD7970 Super Overclock 3GB

Not even entirely sure why I clicked on it, I guess it was because it looked like it had a 3 slot cooler I wasn't paying much attention but my god well I will let the pic explain.

GV-R797SO3GDb.jpg

Super Overclock cards use Gigabyte's Ultra Durable VGA+ PCB, which is rich in copper and uses top-grade components. The GPU is cherry-picked for top performance, efficiency and reliability. Armed with five fans, nine heatpipes and a massive vapor chamber, the Gigabyte HD7970 Super Overclock has a core clock speed of 1000MHz. 3 year warrant

Now I really want the OCC review of both of these.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That X79 mobo's specs are incredible, not something that I could take advantage of though, and the price is ridiculous.

I'm a tad concerned about the super clocked 7970. The first thing that made me think is, as we all know, the smaller a fan is, the faster it will have to run to achieve good airflow, and more RPMs = more noise. I imagine this thing makes quite a roar with those fans cranked up.

The new design does have the adavantage of being positioned well to take in cool air from a side mounted case fan, but this also results in dumping all of the hot air directly onto the motherboard :huh: .

I would also like it see it reviewed. It would interested to really see its merits and pitfalls instead of just speculating

Edited by 90sgamer

The new design does have the adavantage of being positioned well to take in cool air from a side mounted case fan, but this also results in dumping all of the hot air directly onto the motherboard :huh: .

I would also like it see it reviewed. It would interested to really see its merits and pitfalls instead of just speculating

That is where I am not sure I think it may be pulling so you would need a fan on the side exhausting, just think of fans and the way air normally flows through them and then look at the fans again, you will see what i mean.

That is where I am not sure I think it may be pulling so you would need a fan on the side exhausting, just think of fans and the way air normally flows through them and then look at the fans again, you will see what i mean.

Ah, I missed that completely. :doh: You are totally right. Interesting concept. Nearly everyone with this would need to change the direction of their side case fan to exhaust.

I'm a tad concerned about the super clocked 7970. The first thing that made me think is, as we all know, the smaller a fan is, the faster it will have to run to achieve good airflow, and more RPMs = more noise. I imagine this thing makes quite a roar with those fans cranked up.
More like an ungodly whine of doom...

Asrock and Asus haven't been together for ages and to think of Asrock as low end is quite the mistake

without the music life would be a mistake

jaajajaaja i was quoting your sig..

now back on topic. I've heard that a couple of years ago but as I readed on Wikipedia they seem to have separated in 2002 oO. To be sincere my 1st mother bought was Soyo (back in 2000s and I new pretty much nothing about hardware). My first Asus was in 2005 and it was the first time I've heard of that company (never been in hardware world b4 year 2005). In fact I registered in OCC year 2005 to ask for an advice to buy that computer (my father paid but well, I choosed the components). I tought it was pretty cool and back in 2010 I bought myself my first desktop and I also choosen Asus. Never tought in buying a extreme-motherboard since I don't consider of vital importance. For me always CPU-Mem-Video (cuz I play so motherboard really doesn't play big role if you don't OC): I play with stock components.

Well, it doesn't come to the topic but after 2005 I start get around here. Never reached the level of an overclocker and stil there area lot of things that I dont understand but I learned some things about hardware reading a lot of reviews before buy my new desktop.

For example today I've heard a video of AsRock new motherboard posted here and the guy said "this motherboard have 4x Thunderbold" WHAT IN THE WORLD IS A THUNDERBOT???????

=]

Edited by loco_frags