AMD 6970 and 6950 Reviewed

Bosco

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wishing for it to be the same price as the GTX570... $20 is not much but I think AMD would really have had a great deal at this price.

And BTW this makes me notice they are the same price in CAD and USD on Newegg. :) Hurray for the CAD going upwards! Except it doesn't advantage me when I sell in USD in the market place. :(

Edit: Colleague, awesome review BTW. You did a great job on the stock/overclocked charts. Oh, and I can't wait to see what these cards can do with more voltage.

insane good, i was honestly expecting to see the 6970 at 450$ at the very least. ever since i saw the 6870 at 250$ versus the 5770 which launched at around 199$

I don't think they're that good (well the 6970 anyway) since the 570 is ~equal with it and $20 cheaper

What will happen to the "eyefinity" cards now? dodo with those prices!

I am guessing the prices for these 69xx cards will increase.

They better not increase :lol:

For those complaining about the HD6970 not beating the GTX580...

I think it's a wise move from AMD. The GTX580 is 520mm² and the HD6970 is 389mm². The HD6970 must be a heck of a lot cheaper to manufacture and it just reflects in the price point. The market for >$500 graphics cards is very small, so addressing this with a dual-GPU solution is probably much easier and cost effective than to develop another larger die that can potentially be as tough to manufacture as Fermi at the beginning.

The temperature page, the graphs should be reversed. The idle/load stock temps shouldn't be lower than the idle/load overclocked temps. :P

I thought the same thing once on a review a little while back! The fan speed at stock clocks is also at stock. When ccokeman starts the OC, he raises the fan up to 100%, which explains how this is possible!

:withstupid:

The fan was most likely at full tilt which would be why the temps would be lower. Thats how ccokeman rolls :)

I too love 100% fan for overclocking , but if you want to run overclocked settings during intense gaming then get a loud set of gaming headsets or an aftermarket cooler :lol:

For those complaining about the HD6970 not beating the GTX580...

I think it's a wise move from AMD. The GTX580 is 520mm² and the HD6970 is 389mm². The HD6970 must be a heck of a lot cheaper to manufacture and it just reflects in the price point. The market for >$500 graphics cards is very small, so addressing this with a dual-GPU solution is probably much easier and cost effective than to develop another larger die that can potentially be as tough to manufacture as Fermi at the beginning.

you hear ppl using simple measurements such as these to conclude way too much. Looking at things this way is like looking at gift sizes and automatically assuming the bigger gift is more expensive. its whats inside that counts. AMD packs their chips with higher density and is now up to 2.6billion transistors vs nvidias 3 billion. nvidia for whatever reason doesnt pack the transistors so dense so even at the same transistor count nvidia will have a bigger chip. but that doesnt necessarily mean it cost them more in any way. Looking at cpus you know cache is expensive, all transistors arent the same. You cant just assume by die size the cost of the chip. A much better measure is at the end. Nvidia is selling GPUs to make a profit and no matter what anyone says they are doing this. They are successful at making profits, they arent running their business in the ground. AMD with their much smaller die size, still isnt able to make the profits nvidia does. Many will argue all different points surrounding this but i only want to say one thing about it. Does this not in itself prove that you cant judge a chip cost merely by its die size? Not all 40 mm^2 are equal, trust me!!!

after saying all this i do believe nvidia does have more expensive chips in competing models, but not such a huge differance as is being spread around the net. It has nothing to do with the proportioned size difference. Its a hunch based on the complexity of fermi and in the design. I still believe it to be much smaller a difference than you would think.

Edited by ocre

Prices in NZ are $749 for 6970 vs $849 for the GTX580. The 6970 should be $565 NZD with GST added and the GTX580 should be around $810 which is pretty close to current prices. Proces for other parts like CPUs etc are fairly competitive but GPUs always seem to be overpriced initially.

Will come down fairly quickly though I think.

Now you guys know what to take with you the next time you visit NZ/Aussie evilgrin.gif