Been 5 years since my last build, cpu was a i7-920

jkeener71

Yeah, my previous computer was doing fine, but I had a GeForce 295 and a Intel DX58SO mobo and alot of my parts were discontinued. So I upgraded since I wanted somewhat newer hardware and also I got a great deal on the cpu, got it for only $100 (special work related promo) and I also got the water cooler free, so that was all I needed as enough excuse to build a new rig. Also I handed down my old PC to my bro, so he could have something decent. 

Thank you for all the responses and input so far.

Nice Intel Retail Edge Bro :teehee:

Does that let you get more than one of those deals per generation?

Yeah, my previous computer was doing fine, but I had a GeForce 295 and a Intel DX58SO mobo and alot of my parts were discontinued. So I upgraded since I wanted somewhat newer hardware and also I got a great deal on the cpu, got it for only $100 (special work related promo) and I also got the water cooler free, so that was all I needed as enough excuse to build a new rig. Also I handed down my old PC to my bro, so he could have something decent. 

Thank you for all the responses and input so far.

Nice Intel Retail Edge Bro :teehee:

Does that let you get more than one of those deals per generation?

Well, they have this thing called the Summer Deal, which is how I got my deal. Not really sure of the answer to your question though.

I am up to 4.7Ghz so far, well see how that goes. :)

Hey OP you gonna sell your old rig?  :whistling:

It belongs to my bro now. Sorry.

I was curious about one thing, my Thermaltake Water Cooler came with Thermal stuff pre-applied. Should I be good with that, or...

1. Add some Arctic Silver 5 on top of it

2. Remove what is there, and use my Arctic Silver 5

Thanks.

You and me both black,

My trusty i7-980 (non-x) doesn't show sign of getting old, I don't even need it to be overclocked to enjoy blazing fast operations. Even the Core 2 quad is fast enough for any mainstream applications. I also believe your 780 is not bottlenecked by yor W3670.

To OP, the 4770K, as the 4790K, they tend to reach a wall (even delidded) where they need a lot of voltage for small frequency increase. You can look into the 4790k review on OCC, where CCokeman tells a bit about his experience. You might have a similar one.

Looking on line I see some really nice 4790K chips but again the Haswell rules apply. Buy, try, and sell is the only way to get a gem. So I'm 0 fer

• 2 weeks later...