slower quad core or faster dual core

i bought that ram from hornybluecow over 3 years ago,

Depending on the brand RMA may still be an option.  For example I've sent off 30+ sticks over the last few years to Crucial and they have yet to ask me for a receipt. They take "Lifetime Warranty" seriously still last I dealt with them (I need to again I have ~5 sticks of DDR2 Ballistix from back in the day with stability issues/downright dead)

Based on the way he will use it from your description he will doubtfully notice the difference either way but of the two I would personally go with the quad.

and i didnt try to unlock it because i wanted to not have to stability test it, go figure i had a problem anyway

unlocking a phenom rarely cause instabilty it will either crash at boot screen if the extra core is not useable or it will work. i bought a lot of phenom x 2 back in the old days and most of them will unlock to quad but some just unlock to triple. i use it for computers in a cafe running 24/7 .

about stabilty issue i got one chip that need to be locked down to triple after 3 years of usage ( maybe amd did lock the core for a good reason) since you say the speed of the phenom x2 speed is 3.0 then it's the multiplier locked version (545) i wouldn't even bother overclocking it since you need a really good board to acheive high overclock.

Yep if it's OCZ it HAD a lifetime warranty, but the ram business was long gone before they went under.

[rant ahead] Personally wont be buying the Toshiba stuff with OCZ labels either after the way the handled the support request I had in limbo from before they bought them out.  Basically said we don't care about the business you gave OCZ in the past you can buy another or go away...So I did, just from Seagate instead.  I figure the chances of Seagate going under are rather low in the next 5 yrs so and they have pretty good support.

Btw all I needed on for the SSD was an older firmware version no longer on the website to make the drive work in the older system it was in because the new firmware caused issues with the motherboard's SATA controller.  Not like it was an RMA request. [/rant]

You can always overclock a quad, but you can't (always) unlock a dual core. I've pushed those 630's pretty far, 3.6ghz should be a walk in the park. 4+GHz depending on some stuff.

I tried to unlock a Deneb AMD X2 5000+ into a quad core with L3 cache, it is possible but I didn't have much luck. My stepping wouldn't support DDR3 anyway but the newer would. Great gamble though if you only want to spend a few bucks :woot: Example for anyone thinking I'm off the rocker: http://siliconmadness.blogspot.com/2010/05/amd-athlon-x2-5000-unlocks-to-quad-core.html just remember, we aren't talking x2 64 - AMD reused the older naming scheme.

and i didnt try to unlock it because i wanted to not have to stability test it, go figure i had a problem anyway

what ram did I sell you? I've sold so much stuff in the last 3-4 years I couldn't tell you who or what i've sold. Sucks they went bad, I've proably sold them because OCZ ram doesn't like me very much, Good thing OCZ is gone now becuase they werent very good at RMA support. since than I basically only buy from G.Skill. Mushkin also are very good.