ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II Edition Review

I buy video cards to drive my games. When I buy a motherboard, I try to max out the life of the platform. I bought one GTX 260 in 2008 for $270 and another earlier this year for $100.

Let's pretend I only have two slots and there are two expansion slots between them. PCIe x16, PCIe x1, PCIex1, PCIe x16, PCIex1, and PCI. Something like that. I buy one of these now for $300ish. Once games get beyond the capabilities of one of these cards, and I want to run SLI, I'm gimp'd for two reasons: 1) bottom card suffocates the top card, and 2) forget using any of the expansion slots for an extra NIC, RAID, sound card, or whatever. Just for the 1st reason I should get a regular 570. My flexibility to adapt my systems functionality with expansion ports is totally gone with two of these cards.

While this card may be fine for the majority of users, so is any 570. The flexibility sacrificed by the 3 slot cooler isn't worth the benefits at all.

Yeah, I believe if the user plans on keeping an air cooler on their SLI or Crossfired graphics cards then the reference design is the best because it vents all heat out the back instead of into the case.

Well if its anything like my system 6 of the seven Expansion slots are occupied by 480's. the seventh is an OCZ revo drive.

Nice performing card. Six slots to run 2 in sli is a bummer though.

Always been that way though with cards that use dual slot or better cooling. We cant have massive performance without the ability to cool it down. Ill see how it works out with the 580DCII

not to be a fanboy but I remember the 6970 leading in 3dmark 11 against the 570 but now even the vanilla 570 is beating the 6970 in every game besides avp. And um where is crysis 1 in the benchies?

not to be a fanboy but I remember the 6970 leading in 3dmark 11 against the 570 but now even the vanilla 570 is beating the 6970 in every game besides avp. And um where is crysis 1 in the benchies?

I imagine they haven't finished running it on enough cards to use it as a benchmark yet.

Driver enhancements most likely :happy:

Nivdia: Leading in the way in GPU cooling technology. ;)

or 'Nvidia: Tipping the scales in your favor'

ASUS: Leading in the way in GPU cooling technology. ;)

Edited for clarity! :biggrin:

NVIDIA has nothing to do with this beast of a cooling solution other than making a GPU that can use it! :cheers:

Driver enhancements always happen. The key is are they (AMD, Nvidia) sacrificing image quality for FPS. It would seem so depending on who you talk to........

And um where is crysis 1 in the benchies?

As it was stated in another review thread its dead too us and has been removed from our benchmark suite.