Onboard HDMI vs GPU HDMI

tbris84

Simple question, couldn't find a definitive answer anywhere. I have two 32" Samsung TV monitors and one 65" Samsung 3D LED TV. As it stands right now my ASRock Z77 Extreme4 has an HDMI out, my EVGA GTX680 has one HDMI out and two DVI outs. I have the GTX680's HDMI going to my primary 32", the GTX680's DVI converted to HDMI going to my secondary 32", and the motherboard's HDMI going to the 65". 

My question is, if I want to play a game on the 65" using the motherboard's HDMI am I hindering my FPS? Does that motherboard HDMI completely ignore the GTX680 or does the GTX680 still process the video signal and pass it back to the motherboard's HDMI? 

My display priority in terms of which I play games on most would be; primary 32" most frequently, 65" once in a while, secondary 32" never. So the secondary 32" has the lowest priority. I get video AND audio out of all three ports, surprisingly enough the DVI-to-HDMI even passes through audio which I didn't know was possible. 

Is it possible to have audio coming from both 32" at the same time, or will Windows 7 only allow one audio output at a time?

Thanks guys.

Edited by tbris84

Simple question, couldn't find a definitive answer anywhere. I have two 32" Samsung TV monitors and one 65" Samsung 3D LED TV. As it stands right now my ASRock Z77 Extreme4 has an HDMI out, my EVGA GTX680 has one HDMI out and two DVI outs. I have the GTX680's HDMI going to my primary 32", the GTX680's DVI converted to HDMI going to my secondary 32", and the motherboard's HDMI going to the 65". 

My question is, if I want to play a game on the 65" using the motherboard's HDMI am I hindering my FPS? Does that motherboard HDMI completely ignore the GTX680 or does the GTX680 still process the video signal and pass it back to the motherboard's HDMI?

Do you have the LucidLogix Virtu MVP software installed? If yes this is what you can set. So it dose not matter.

My display priority in terms of which I play games on most would be; primary 32" most frequently, 65" once in a while, secondary 32" never. So the secondary 32" has the lowest priority. I get video AND audio out of all three ports, surprisingly enough the DVI-to-HDMI even passes through audio which I didn't know was possible. 

DVI-to-HDMI cant not pass audio. DVI has analog lines on the connector but HDMI is all digital.

Is it possible to have audio coming from both 32" at the same time, or will Windows 7 only allow one audio output at a time?

Thanks guys.

What do you want the audio coming out of, all the TVs? just 1? going to a amp?

Do you have the LucidLogix Virtu MVP software installed? If yes this is what you can set. So it dose not matter.

DVI-to-HDMI cant not pass audio. DVI has analog lines on the connector but HDMI is all digital.

Thanks guys.

What do you want the audio coming out of, all the TVs? just 1? going to a amp?

I had VirtuMVP installed, but it causes certain massive memory leaks when certain games (eg. Anno 2070) are launched. Had to uninstall it to get it to play. Without having VirtuMVP installed am I hindering gaming performance (FPS wise) by using the onboard HDMI cable, or no?

DVI-to-HDMI can't not pass audio? Is that an intentional double-negative or do you mean DVI-to-HDMI can't pass audio? Because I do get audio out of it, I just thought DVI was only video. 

I would like to have audio pass through both of my 32" tv's at the same time for more of a "surrounding" effect. It's not a necessity, but it would be an improvement. These TV speakers suck, twice the wattage might improve it a bit. I am going to be buying an Onkyo TX-NR818 here soon and I will have audio, via Optical cable, from my PC to the AVR. 

Edited by tbris84

Converting DVI to HDMI should not pass audio.  DVI is video only (DVI = Digital Video Interface) keywords are Digital Video.  HDMI passes audio and video (HDMI = High Definition Multimedia Interface).  Regarding your question on which HDMI port gives the best performance.........  Since you aren't using Virtu then your discrete GTX680 is by far more powerful than the integrated graphics.  Reasoning would have it that you would run your highest resolution display off of the GTX680.  Note that I said "resolution" and not "screen size".  

Converting DVI to HDMI should not pass audio.  DVI is video only (DVI = Digital Video Interface) keywords are Digital Video.  HDMI passes audio and video (HDMI = High Definition Multimedia Interface).  Regarding your question on which HDMI port gives the best performance.........  Since you aren't using Virtu then your discrete GTX680 is by far more powerful than the integrated graphics.  Reasoning would have it that you would run your highest resolution display off of the GTX680.  Note that I said "resolution" and not "screen size".  

Yeah, I know what DVI and HDMI are that's why I was surprised to find out my TV was receiving sound from my PC through the GTX680's DVI port. It's coming from the GTX680's upper DVI port, on a DVI cord, through a DVI-to-HDMI adapter. I only accidentally realized this, because I normally have the audio on my left TV (HDMI-HDMI) and one day I realized I had audio coming from the right, which was plugged into the DVI port. Found this on Wiki: "However, many devices can output HDMI over a DVI output and some multimedia displays accept HDMI (including audio) over a DVI input. Exact capabilities vary from product to product."

I guess I will have to try re-installing the VirtuMVP, maybe it had a corrupt file or something that an update will fix. Won't have the new TV for another month to 6 weeks so no rush. Thanks for the answer though.

If I were you use an HDMI splitter from the GTX680 would that have any negative affect on framerate? If its coming from the GTX680's HDMI port, into an HDMI splitter, and from there one HDMI to the 32" and the other HDMI to the 65"? 

Edited by tbris84