gtx 680 + gtx 260 physx

Would it be a waste to throw in my 260 in as a physx card with my 680 or would it just slow it down.

Also does anyone have any tips on ocing the 680 im having a hell of a time

Would it be a waste to throw in my 260 in as a physx card with my 680 or would it just slow it down.

Also does anyone have any tips on ocing the 680 im having a hell of a time

I wouldn't put the 260 as a PhysX card. The 680 can do PhysX fine by itself and that 260 would just be extra heat.

Good luck with oc'ing.

I wouldn't put the 260 as a PhysX card. The 680 can do PhysX fine by itself and that 260 would just be extra heat.

Good luck with oc'ing.

Remember, the compute prowess on the GTX 680's are less than that of a GTX 560 Ti. Even GTX 580's got slightly bottlenecked with even a dedicated GTX 460 1GB card. At any rate, you can try it with your GTX 260 card and see how it compares in benchmarks.

You'll want something like an overclocked GTX 560 Ti or faster for the GTX 680's, but you'll need to do some tricks to get it to work since the 300 series of drivers usually won't work with the GTX 200/400/500 line. Here's a good guide.

For overclocking, don't use MSI Afterburner, just install EVGA Precision X as that's what's currently what's supported for overclocking. Most of it's pretty similar to MSI Afterburner. Just up your Power Target to 132%, set your Fan Curve and put it to Auto (don't let the GPU temp reach 70C, or it will throttle), take "SYNC" off. It uses GPU and MEM Offset for overclocking. Hope that helps.

Maybe i got a dud card because i set power to 132% and will only go a 100+ on core before it locks up and i am to timid to mess with voltage right now and those gains are minimal at best.

Is this the norm for this card

(don't let the GPU temp reach 70C, or it will throttle)

Are you serious ? :huh: This was hardly mentioned in the reviews, if its true then it is a real fail on NVIDIA's part - I'd only say throttle the card at like 92C

Everyone at OCN that has GTX 680's usually get around +100 to +150 for their overclock, whilst most review sites ended up at +200 or higher. Most owners are starting to think that reviewers got "special" overclocking cards to make it look like it can overclock like crazy. In reviews (and only certain sites will actually overclock the card in a review), most reviewers push the fan at a constant 85% when overclocking, so temps won't get that high and they won't see the throttle issue. I can set my fans at 35% constant and when it reaches 70C, drivers will crash, even when it was stable with higher fan speed and lower temps. Even though many are disappointed with the overclocking, it's still hangs in there with the HD 7970, but the HD 7970's all had great overclocking potential.

Here are my stable overclocks:

El_Capitan's GTX 680 Overclocks:

GPU 1 = 1146/1700MHz 1199MHz Boost with 1264MHz max Core Clock

GPU 2 = 1116/1725MHz 1169MHz Boost with 1234MHz max Core Clock

SLI = 1111/1700MHz 1164MHz Boost with 1229MHz max Core Clock

El_Capitan's HD 7970 Overclocks:

GPU 1 = 1170/1780MHz at stock voltages | 1290/1780MHz at 1300mV's

GPU 2 = 1160/1725MHz at stock voltages | Unknown

Crossfire = 1150/1725MHz at stock voltages | 1255/1725MHz at 1300mV's (benchmarks higher, but without negative visual impacts, this is as high as it gets)

I also have another GTX 680 arriving that I will keep on air, I'll see how that one overclocks.

Maybe I got a better card than I thought, cause I use MSi Afterburner and can OC the core 200+. Although I am still disappointed I can't hit 1300 Core w/o Boost, I am close. Hopefully water will get me over the hump :evilgrin:

Nothing wrong with using MSi Afterburner though Capi, it works just fine :thumbsup:

sell the 260

:withstupid: it'd be far more useful in the hands of someone using it as a their primary card. Is there even that many Physx games to make it worth it? :lol: (that the 680 couldn't take care of handily on it's own)

Maybe I got a better card than I thought, cause I use MSi Afterburner and can OC the core 200+. Although I am still disappointed I can't hit 1300 Core w/o Boost, I am close. Hopefully water will get me over the hump :evilgrin:

Nothing wrong with using MSi Afterburner though Capi, it works just fine :thumbsup:

You're lucky Speed. Hopefully my PNY card overclocks better. I'll try MSI Afterburner (beta) sometime. I'm playing with benchmarks on 3 near identical rigs, lol. Sucks up so much time...

:withstupid: it'd be far more useful in the hands of someone using it as a their primary card. Is there even that many Physx games to make it worth it? :lol: (that the 680 couldn't take care of handily on it's own)

Yeah, too bad there isn't many PhysX games, but the ones where you can use PhysX in, it sure looks nice. :)