Confused by Specifications

Hello, Everyone so im still learning somethings but something recently came by that confused me a bit and was wondering if someone could bring me up to snuff

I have a Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 Motherboard & an AMD FX 8320 (Black Edition) Processor

According to Microcenter.com The 8320's Max Memory Supported is 1866Mhz

&

According to Microcenter.com The Asus Sabertooth Max Memory Supported is also 1866Mhz

My Confusion is i hear all the time of people OCing there ram past this on that chip and within the bios itself i can set the freq past 1866.. Sooo how and why would i be able to do that if it states 1866Mhz is the max

I Dont Mess with memory overclocking outside of buying a package that has a xmp/amp profile but in the case i do which im sure eventually i will id rather safely have the knowledge of how and why thats possible when the bios and microcenter states otherwise

Max supported speed and overclocking are separate things entirely. Max supported is their way of saying they can guarantee 1866 memory will operate in the system, but won't guarantee higher speeds will work. Overclocking surpasses this, it isn't a limitation of the hardware really.

Usually running a higher than supported speed will work just fine, may have to adjust more settings depending on the speeds. Memory multipliers and reference clock rate changes memory speed. Then there is memory timings, but that is another can of worms.

Memory overclocking doesn't pay off as much as CPU and GPU overclocking does anyway