open air vs blower gpu cooling

towhog66

Ancient

once again i come to the pros, i could use some input and ur thoughts?
OK i have 4 days til payday and im making my move with the EVGA GeForce GTX 770 SC Classified 4GB just not sure if it would be better to go with open air or a blower coolers in my setup...
i like both. i well be doing 2 of this in SLI soon in a sum of 1000 bucks.. i have cpu Water Cooler setup in the top of my case with 2 140mm fans setup in pull and a 120 in back both  exhausting out heat,
and two 120mm intake fans on the front, with 1 120 fan on the left side of case for GPU aswell as a 140fan on the out side HD cage for added gpu cooling (MOD ).

like most things when it comes to a powerful PC its the heat, ( open air is great for cooling but dumps their 60 to 70c + heat in the case/tower and stressing other components like my water cooler this dose not seem right in my case. thinking that they well make my cpu run hotter...

these are just my thoughts.

this is my baby
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/...

Case/Tower Antec GX700
1 ASUS VS247 display 1920 by 1080
mobo, ASRock z87 Extreme 6
COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M2 RSA00-SPM2D3-US 1000W
Ram, G.SKILL Sniper serirs 2X4 8gs 2133
CPU, i5 4670K 3.4 ghz ( OC to 4.3 )
Cooler, CORSAIR Hydro Series H110
SSD, Samsung 830 128 G
2-500g WD HHD
Video Card, 560 OC ( way under powered  ) :vmad:
CREATIVE Titanium Fatal1ty sound card
rat-7 mouse
Steelseries Merc Stealth
Windows 7 64 bit
Edited by towhog66

with a gtx770 you will not be able to mount that 140mm fan on the drive cage cause it will hit the pcb,gtx770 pcb extend beyond the width of your motherboard all the way to the edge of your hard drive cage

just get the acx version and mount your side panel case fan as exhaust, it should suck out the heat directly from the card. unless you play games with headset or people around you don't mind the 'vacum cleaner' inside your casing then you can buy the blower type :whistling:

Edited by panjang

the sound is that bad form the blowers now? the last card i had that had a blower was 2 9800 gtx SC + in sli..... wow and i was thinking about using the side fan in that cofig.... NICE

Edited by towhog66

seems there's good enough airflow inside your case as it looks and the way how you setup your fans. and i doubt if there's a big difference in temps with or without the 140mm by the hdd cage.

just upgrade the fan/s with a decent ones(cant see what you have there) if it calls for more push/pull air power.

with a gtx770 you will not be able to mount that 140mm fan on the drive cage cause it will hit the pcb,gtx770 pcb extend beyond the width of your motherboard all the way to the edge of your hard drive cage

just get the acx version and mount your side panel case fan as exhaust, it should suck out the heat directly from the card. unless you play games with headset or people around you don't mind the 'vacum cleaner' inside your casing then you can buy the blower type :whistling:

nice i was thinking for doing that.... great mines think alike i guess hehe :no:

Edited by towhog66

the front two 120 fans are cooler master 69 CFM. the top 2 are stock corsair 140s 94 CMF, and the side 120 is cooler master 69 CMF. the back in a antec  120 79 CMF on high ....

Edited by towhog66

With dual cards I would run blower style or water...that is a lot of heat to dump into your case!

thats what im thinking :doh: ill run water cooling in a yr give or take... and end up getting a crazy tower too....

Edited by towhog66

With dual cards I would run blower style or water...that is a lot of heat to dump into your case!

thats what im thinking :doh: ill run water cooling in a yr give or take... and end up getting a crazy tower too....

For WC on the cheap, you can get a used AIO water cooler from a forum or ebay for ~50 bucks, and run it on a GPU using a bracket from TripT or Sigma Cool for another ~15. The stock cooler was hitting 84c(!) on my Sapphire 7970, but I ran an H70 on it @ 1200/1500 and it kept the core under 55c while GPU mining. Games won't break 50c.

Only down side is you need to purchase heat sinks for the VRMs if your card doesn't have seperate VRM cooling and also sinks for the RAM.

puck, do you use the ek copper shim with your h70? i'm currently in the process of machining a deepcool dracula so the base will get contact with the die (i got this very cheap from a friend so i don't mind machining it)

how is the performance? i have read many review saying that heat transfer is poor... i wanna know your opinion if you're using one. my grinding stone is busted and local store currently run out of stock so my work is halted, and the shim thing crossed my mind.