Better overclocking potential because of higher CPU power phase design

El_Capitan

Reading the mfg. specifications   :)

Or if that doesn't get specific enough you can count the number of inductors around the cpu socket and draw some conclusions from that.  It gets a little tricky deciphering that though.  If you count ten chokes - eight of them may be for the cpu and two for the ram etc.

I know the phase counts by looking at the specifications:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/P8Z68_DELUXE/#specifications

ASUS Digital Power Design :
- Industry leading Digital 16 Phase Power Design
(12 -phase for CPU, 4 -phase for iGPU)
- ASUS DIGI+ VRM Utility

Is

However, I'm confused by what "true" phase count means. If there's 12 phases for the CPU, but only 6 are "true" phases, what are the other 6 phases? Or is the guy responding to me talking mumbo jumbo?

- ASUS DIGI+ VRM Utility

Is

However, I'm confused by what "true" phase count means. If there's 12 phases for the CPU, but only 6 are "true" phases, what are the other 6 phases? Or is the guy responding to me talking mumbo jumbo?

Sometimes manufacturers double up on some components but not all of them (IE: double caps and inductors but not drivers, double drivers but same FETs, etc).

Reputable companies seem to be shying away from this on mid-high end boards but cheap boards...well, they're cheaper for a reason.

- ASUS DIGI+ VRM Utility

Is

Sometimes manufacturers double up on some components but not all of them (IE: double caps and inductors but not drivers, double drivers but same FETs, etc).

Reputable companies seem to be shying away from this on mid-high end boards but cheap boards...well, they're cheaper for a reason.

Ah, now I'm understanding it a lot more.

Another reply that seems to make sense:

True phase count the way Sin0822 and I want them to be are the number of phases that used directly from PWM controller. Because every time you double them, you cut the switching frequency by half so has no effect on reducing ripple.

Remember that currently the maximum number of true phases is equal to 8 because there are no PWM chips that offer more (at least not used with current boards). Also most boards on the market use 4 phases doubled to 8. What you see as 12 phase ones are 6 doubled to 12.

You can check Sin's website for more info on VRM and videos.

Damn, there's something new I learn everyday. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I know this dosent go with the OP, but didnt we see a 24 phase Mobo few years back? I vaugley remember looking at the layout, its was ridiculous  ive noticed over the years phase count is going back down. Looks like its more about quality of the phases as opposed to the quantity? That on top of better PCB layout and routing.