Turnaround

Daragh

To those of you who don't know:

A while ago I received a desktop for free. It was working, though its components were outdated to say the least. After giving the insides a quick clean I got the specs for the machine:

Case: Generic, came with the PSU I presume

CPU: Athlon 64 single core

GPU: nVidia GeForce gt240. This apparently used to be a Galaxy 7600gt

RAM: 2gb of, DDR

Motherboard: Infinity Lanparty.

HDD: 160gb sata mechanical.

DVD Drive: Liteon 32x.

PSU: 450watt thing. About 6 molex connectors but no PCI-E connectors

Not exactly a powerhouse. Now I already have a very nice (new) XPS that I like to use but, I would like a desktop to work on. I'm not bursting with money so it will be a slow upgrade process. Most of you already know how its going down. Motherboard, CPU, Case and, PSU are being replaced all at once. Ram will be replaced shortly after (very shortly). Graphics card and finally any extras like HDD and cooling will come last.

The future specs will be

Either HAF 922, 932 or Sharkoon Tauron (depends on what I can afford)

i5 2500k

Asus Direct CUII GT560ti

8gb Ripjaws ram

Asrock Extreme 4 z77

HDD: Whatever is big and cheap, eventually an SSD but its too early to decide

DVD Drive: Unchanged

PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 750W

What will come will come, watercooling and all that are still a while away.

On a different note, the PSU came and it is beautiful. I haven't tested it but its put together very well and the cables are nice. It won't be going in until the Case,motherboard and CPU come.

Images will be posted when the case comes.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry about the lack of updates guys, still waiting for payment. Pics will be taken and uploaded tonight of current build. A couple of mods have had to be made to the parts list as money has gotten a bit tighter-

CPU: i3 I reckon (i5 will come but its out of reach atm, when I'm done with it I'll probably build a cheap system for my sister/brother to play the sims and go on the internet with).

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-M best at my strapped for cash pricepoint

Case: Either Tauron OR a Cooler Master Storm Enforcer (its on sale for $95 at PC Case Gear right now- same as the Tauron)

Graphics card will probably stay the same unless something crops up, in which case it'll be a MSI GTX 560 OR 480's are going cheap on ebay ATM (I game with headphones)

Rest will stay. Applying for a part time after school kind of job to pay for parts I reckon.

Motherboard will be here by around 19-25th of May. I should be ordering the case tonight (ETA: 14-18th) the system will move to that. I should have enough left over to have the CPU before the end of may which is nice.

Again many apologies for the lack of updates!

And on a side note:

Does anybody have anything on the Sharkoon Tauron, seriously I can't find any reviews anywhere, even just a forum post saying i gt dis cas nd it pre gud would be helpful. If I end up ordering it I'll do my part and post a review but seriously- foresight is nice

Edited by Daragh

Have not ever heard of that case. Just a side note we have a reviewer that wants to get rid of some cases. Have a look at her thread in the market place. Her name is bluepanda.

Have not ever heard of that case. Just a side note we have a reviewer that wants to get rid of some cases. Have a look at her thread in the market place. Her name is bluepanda.

He is in Australia :-/

The shakoon case comes with all fans preinstalled and offers lots of features and good value. The enforcer case requires the purchase of the top fan which will bump the price up.

The top fan isn't an issue- I have a 140mm laying around, and the extra $25 for a top fan isn't too bad- I prefer to spend money on possible airflow and inbuilt extras that I can't change, quality or warranty :) . If I can't find anything on the sharkoon then I'm not sure if I should risk it, from what I've seen they are a budget company and hence budget build quality (though I may be wrong on this). Plus the CM has internal USB 3- the sharkoon uses an extension cable (saw it written as a comment, but the author didn't elaborate on any of the other features). The only thing the sharkoon has going for it (feature wise) is the max graphics card length at 42cm vs 30.9 (a specific figure isn't given for the CM but it claims to support a 5970 so I'm going off that :dunno: ).

And thanks for the heads up but as stoner said, I live in Aus so I don't think I can afford shipping...